Best use for a G4 (PPC) Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by peanutismint, Mar 1, 2013.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I have 'inherited' an old Mac Mini and am wondering what to do with it, or whether I'm best of just throwing it out/donating it!!

It's currently running Leopard fine, but am finding it hard to install any decent apps as most of the ones I'd use on a system like that (media apps like XBMC or old games emulators for instance) all seem to require Intel processors.

I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest a good use for this old workhorse... my thoughts range from an HTPC (albeit without a remote control!) or some sort of file server/NAS...???

2. Goftrey, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013

Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I think the Mini's are well suited as a HTPC, with iTunes 10 (under Leopard) you'll still have access to all of your movies/TV shows & it'll play standard definition film with no issues. XBMC v11 was the last version to run on PowerPC, you can download it here.

Good luck & for the love of PowerPC don't throw it out!

EDIT - Even I'll buy it off you if you can't find a use for it. I'm only 10 miles down the road the other side of Barry :p

3. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

You could always put amiga software on it and just use it for the kids to mess around with

4. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Thanks mate! I definitely won't throw it out but if I do, I'll get in touch! ;)

Not a bad idea!! I think if I can find a decent SNES emulator that'll run on it I'll keep it around....

5. g4manimac macrumors 6502

They make a GREAT tv computer just get a dvi to hdmi and plug that thing up.It's fun to mess around with a mac connected to your t.v.

6. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

If your into that kind of stuff, just install MorphOS on it :p

Sure it won't run old Amiga-games (or anything else directly hitting Amiga-HW) without UAE but other things even improve. I for once find the web much more enjoyable with Odyssey then with Leopard+Safari on the same HW.

7. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

8. skateny macrumors 6502

skateny

Hmm...Where have I heard this before?:rolleyes:

9. California macrumors 68040

California

10. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Yes, use atiaccelarator ii on any pre X1xxx ATI gpu.

11. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Thanks for the tip, but I don't think overclocking is going to help me run Intel-only media apps.... Still worth a try for other uses tho! :)

12. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Nestopia?

13. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Hmm very possibly.... Perhaps it's worth me looking into other PPC compatible apps that would serve my media/emulator ideas!

I will admit - 50% of the reason why I would love to hang onto my PPC Mac Mini is because I have one of these cute little Iomega external hard drives:

[​IMG]