Best Use For MBP Battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gonzaload1987, Apr 27, 2010.

1. gonzaload1987 macrumors regular

Hey guys, sorry if this thread had been treated before but i want to know the best care that i can do for my 2010 MBP's battery and improve it's life...

a) It's recommended to do once a month a calibration?

b) If i use it 3-4 hours per day wireless, it's still necessary do the calibration?

c) Do i have time to do the calibration when i open for the first time the MBP, or i can wait a little?

Sorry but i would appreciate your great help, i'm outdated of new batteries technologies :)

2. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Calibration doesn't affect the life of the battery--it just calibrates it.

3. a4209797 macrumors member

Also I heard that your MBP will come with a 70% charged batt. Should I charge it up all the way then use it? or don't charge it and drain it first?

4. m85476585 macrumors 65816

It really doesn't matter, the battery is ready to go out of the box. Just use it however you want.

They ship at ~70% charge because that's best for the long-term health of the battery while it's in storage (in the store or being shipped to you).

5. gonzaload1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Thx for the reply, but why i don't understand it's the calibration function more than once since i bought... if i use the battery i have also to calibrate it periodically or no?

6. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Calibration helps keep the battery life estimate accurate. Apple recommends calibrating about once a month, but in my opinion it is not necessary to do it that frequently. It depends on how you use your computer-- if the time that you use it on battery power daily is short enough that you never worry about running out of power, then it's not important to calibrate. If, on the other hand, you use the computer on battery power for long periods and you need to get every bit of runtime out if it, it may help to calibrate regularly.

7. gonzaload1987 thread starter macrumors regular

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Rather than listen to opinions, why not just read what Apple says:
    Calibrating a portable computer battery

9. gonzaload1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much GGJStudios, i want to know something..."If you use your computer infrequently"...it means if i use it with AC cord and not the battery or it doesn't to do with it at all ?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, if you use it plugged in to AC most of the time, it's better to calibrate about once a month, rather than every two months. The same goes if you use another computer most of the time and infrequently use your MBP. If you're mostly plugged in, it's also a good idea to unplug and run on battery for a while every few days. You don't need to run it all the way down; just for a couple hours will do.

11. gonzaload1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, better explain this is impossible :D

Now i'm prepared to wait for my new mbp, macrumors rules seriously :cool: