Best use of greenscreen...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by acearchie, Nov 2, 2010.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Hi guys,

I know that there have been a couple of topics asking for short film ideas and other script ideas.

My request is slightly different. I have a project coming up where I have to use the greenscreen that we have at Uni (Broadcast quality which had been hired by the BBC, Sky, Etc).

I have used homemade greenscreen before for fake newsrooms, some minor special effects and masking.

However, since I have lots of time for this project I wanted to try something new.

Does anyone have any challenging ideas that I could use the greenscreen for?

I was maybe thinking off something along the lines of someone who can fly or someone falling from a plane etc...

For the preproduction stage we all have to come up with our own ideas so I was hoping that I could bounce some ideas of people here as everyone else seems to be keeping to themselves!

Thanks!

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I come from a news/sports background but with flying/jumping out of a plane would you be able to suspend the subject. I would think with a person standing it might be harder to act out.

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Thanks for the input.

I think it would look ok but for falling having someone lie on a green box with their legs and arms in the air as though they had passed out and were falling (with some camera shake and motion blur in After Effects I reckon it might work)

And for the flying I was thinking of close up shots of face, upper body, etc lying on a box looking a little like they are suspended.

I take your point that it may not be the most convincing film but I wanted to try something that I hadn't done before which could look quite convincing as well!

4. jwheeler macrumors regular

If you can use after effects.. then soooo soooo much.

Edit: U replied before me. U have after effects so... Compositing FTW.

Simple things like getting hit by a car, being thrown by an explosion etc...

Colour matching & lighting matching are SO SO SO important.

5. Willi Gofarr macrumors newbie

You could do worse that have a look through the various tutorials on Andrew Kramers excellent www.VideoCoPilot.net - directly and indirectly there's a few bits on greenscreen that could spark some ideas.

6. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

I've done a sort of convincing car hit before I found it easier not to use a greenscreen as it's much easier to colour match the road.

Being thrown by an explosion is a good one. I hadn't thought of that. I have tried it before but it could do with some improvement!

I have used Andrew Kramer in the past to help me with probably every effect I have done. I'm no pro but I think that with the information he has given me on various tutorials that I can achieve pretty much any effect with enough time and effort!

Thanks for the help guys any other ideas would be great!

7. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Has anyone else had any interesting ideas.

The other simple thing I thought of was being in locations that wouldn't normally be possible or perhaps being a giant/very small in a city.

8. RHVC59 macrumors 6502

Skip from wave tops in a rough sea scape... Ride a surfboard... Tame a lion. Kick box a grizzly bear, Slap some sense into Sarah Palen's head. Just some thoughts:D

9. brucem91 macrumors 6502

will probably require more than after effects(probably maya or similiar), but you could always try creating a digital set.

Another option is to composite yourself into a shot of one of your favorite films.

10. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Kung Pow sort of thing? If you can get away with ripping off someone else's material to make it.

11. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

These ideas are all great. I was watching the opening to the Armstrong and Miller show (can't find it on youtube) and that uses a greenscreen to have the actors dancing at several different locations around the world which seemed like a good idea to me.

Playing on what Bruce said I could adjust the idea to have myself walking in on some of my favourite films both new and old which would be a very cool idea!

The only problem with what RHVC59 said is finding the stock footage of grizzly bears etc. to slap! Any ideas on how to elaborate with this one?