Best used Macbook Pro?Or buy new?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Chiadrum, May 16, 2015.

1. Chiadrum macrumors newbie

Hi all.My wife needs a new laptop pretty desperately and I/we have never owned a Mac before.I am considering a used machine since my wife wants a 15" and the new models start at 2k.
    Doing some research I am actually thinking that perhaps the best way to go would be to pickup a 2011 model with spinning hard drive and upgrade to an SSD and bump up the memory as well.Those can be had on CL in the $600 range so bump memory up to 16GB and slide in a 256 or 512 SSD and still come in under a grand.
    A bit hesitant to buy a 2012 and up model because they are much harder to work on from what I hear.Basically what you see is what you get.With an older machine if there is a failure those are more serviceable so I can change parts myself if needed.
    She is in Real Estate so her usage would be uploading and editing pictures,creating and editing documents and running multiple Web based apps at the same time-MLS,Work email etc.
    Happy to hear any advice from the folks here in the forum who undoubtedly know a lot more about the topic than I do.
    Hoping to get 3-4 years out of the machine and then upgrade.
    Also happy to hear the argument for going new instead.
    Thanks in advance.

2. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

It's really the rMBP that's difficult to work on, the mid-2012 15" cMBP is just like the 2011 in terms of serviceability. If that's one of your main concerns I'd be patient for a good deal on a mid-2012 model, especially since it'll have a better CPU and GPU, USB 3.0, and Bluetooth 4.0 so you can use Continuity and Handoff on Yosemite.

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

2011s are problematic. Apple has a repair program at the moment on them. I still have my 2011 17", but I certainly wouldn't pick one up today. The batteries are not immortal. If it has the original battery, it's likely to be on its way out. I haven't tried third party ones. Those tend to run around $100. Battery service is $180 parts and labor from Apple before any applicable sales tax.

The 2011 models have known gpu problems. It's just a matter of time, and my experience suggests that the repairs aren't perfect. The earlier retina macbook pros also had some gpu problems, although they don't seem as common. If it was me, I would look at a refurbished 2014 model, which come with 16GB standard. They might come down a bit with the next update.

A refurbished 2014 is higher than I thought ($1700). I still wouldn't recommend a 2011. The repair program goes until next year. After that you're out of luck.

4. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

5. Chiadrum thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that guys very good to know.Ill definitely stay away from the 2011 models.Much appreciated.May even go new,Best Buy has them on sale plus 10% off using their card.

6. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

7. MPclk2006 macrumors regular

I have an early 2011 macbook pro and my wife has a late 2010, both were purchased used last year, have not had any issues with either of them. I was actually looking at upgrading the RAM and putting in an SSD on mine sometime this year just to upgrade it, but it works fine.

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I had zero troubles with mine for 3 years. It just bluescreened one day without warning. Some of them show artifacts before dying. Others just die suddenly, but they wouldn't have instated a repair program several years in if it lacked problems.

9. MPclk2006 macrumors regular

so, in saying that, does apple still have this program in place? And if they do, would mine qualify for it if I bought it on Amazon used? Thanks for the info!

I should add, I was speaking about the 13 in macbook pro, from what I just read online it seems this problem affected the 15 and 17 in, am i mistaken?

10. rosario1990 macrumors regular

I don't think ever to use oldest one. So, you should buy new one.

11. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Mid-2012 is the way to go. If you can find one, a 2.6/8/750 model should be about $850-900.

12. Globalksp macrumors newbie

I'm going to jump into this post as I'm in the market for this very model since mine was stolen earlier in the year and am curious about the following. Which processor and graphics card configuration is/was the most robust for the Mid-2012's?

The computer I end up with will be gutted of its drives, memory, and battery (depending on condition) and upgraded with SSDs (original and optical bay) and newer / better components which leaves the most important factor in the purchase that which I cannot myself change: processor and graphics card.

The laptop will be used for photo work (tethering, processing, photoshop, etc...) so the more performance attached to the logic board, the better. I'm sure the processor is one of the i7's (Ivy Bridge), but which speed? As for graphics cards, the auto-switching NVIDIA seems to be good, but I haven't yet found a site / resource that will list out all the options I should be shopping for.

Appreciate any knowledge, thanks.