Best Usenet Client?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacKiddyWiddy, Oct 27, 2009.

1. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

Hello, basically I would like a nice usenet app similar to newsleecher... The reason I like newsleecher is it downloads automatically as the nzb is downloaded, it extracts straight after download and then deletes the downloaded rars and pars... Then if there is an error, it redownloads the part that has the error.... When i'm on mac I use unison, which is good enough, but if your normal, then your downloads folder on mac is a pure mess and its impossible to find the downloaded nzb to open... once i have downloaded it, it stores them under awkward file names which i would never know and have no relevance to the thing im downloading and then finally, if a part is broken (which is quite frequent) it is a pain to find the broken file, delete it and then redownload it without it trying to download all of the other parts [​IMG]

so back to my question, is there any app (doesnt have to be free) that works the same as newsleecher for downloading nzbs from usenet?

2. Middling macrumors regular

SABnzbd+. Someone asked pretty much this same question a few weeks ago. And a few weeks before that too.

3. Broric macrumors regular

Just seconding this, sabnzbd turns usenet downloads into a one click download (especially with the firefox addon).

4. MikhailT macrumors 601

I use Unison. It's a one click as well for me.

5. MacKiddyWiddy thread starter macrumors 6502

see i have sabnzbd+ and i do like it, but for some reason it just does not like my astraweb login :( there's always a server error, shame though as its what i use on my linux box

6. Middling macrumors regular

That's strange. I've used SABnzdb+ with my Astraweb account for a couple of years now and download in excess of 100GiB/month and i've never had a problem (well not one that wasn't related to Astraweb's servers being down).

I'm currently using the European SSL server: ssl-eu.astraweb.com

7. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I used to use Unison but now use SABnzbd+. It works great with giganews.

8. squirrel77 macrumors member

squirrel77

same here!
    Thanks to this thread and finding this software I can wave goodbye to the SSL initialisation failed messages I got with unison and it sorts my scheduling and un-paring out for me. Wish I had found this 2 years ago!
    :)

9. macrazee macrumors regular

Unison is fine for reading and browsing. Binaries? Get NZB Vortex. The free version even is fine.

10. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I use Unison for everything including binaries and haven't had any issues--works fine for me.

11. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1