Best value in an external monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Stocks, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Stocks macrumors member

Every time I go to my sisters house I am amazed at how great her 27 inch (non-retina) iMac is. I wish I could get one, but it's a bit expensive at this time. I have a MacBook Air already, so I figure my best option is to just buy a monitor to use with my current laptop.

I would love a Thunderbolt display, but that is too expensive as well. I am basically looking for a decent 27 inch monitor with 2560 x 1440 resolution. There are many options out there and I am completely lost.

I don't do video games or any type of image or video editing. Basically just web surfing and business stuff. I want a big monitor so I could fit multiple windows on the screen simultaneously. I'd like it to look sharp, but I don't need it to be extraordinary.

Is there a best value 27 inch monitor out there?

2. larrysing1963 macrumors regular

"Best" in an view is subjective. What's best for Bob might not be best for Bill. :D

Any decent monitor of that resolution is going to cost around ~$400.00 .

But for a general purpose 27" monitor which gets good reviews and seems like a good value and seems popular, look at these models:

BenQ GW Series GW2765HT
    Acer K272HUL
    ASUS PB278Q

Prices fluctuate, so you might catch one on sale for as low as $375 if you shop around a little bit.

Best of luck !! :apple:

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Read the monitor reviews at CNET and other computer sites that routinely post reviews.

4. Stocks thread starter macrumors member

After a bunch of reading I ordered the Asus PB278Q. I hope it was the right choice :eek:

5. larrysing1963 macrumors regular

I think that will be a great choice. It's almost unanimous as a great WQHD monitor.:D

Best of luck !!

6. Stocks thread starter macrumors member

That's kind of what I was looking for, a monitor that most would agree is a good value.

All reviews seem to like it. My only concern with it was that a lot of reviews were 2+ years old and I wasn't sure if that made it "old technology".

But I'm sure I will be happy with it. I ordered an adapter to go from my mini displayport to the full size displayport so I should get the full resolution from my Macbook Air.

7. larrysing1963 macrumors regular

That's not really a bad thing, because the only "new" thing that has happened to 27" WQHD monitors in recent times is that they are now making them with internal hardware that helps them be better (faster response, higher refresh rates) monitors for GAMERS.

For general purpose use like you need, there is really nothing newer or significantly better than what you bought, for the price you paid.

8. SmallDane macrumors member

SmallDane

I have one and it's great. Just remember you will likely need to buy a cable or adapter since none of the ones that come with the display will work. I'm not sure about the MacBook Air, but I assume you will need a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable.

9. Stocks thread starter macrumors member

I'm WAY ahead of you!

:p

Just curious, how are the speakers? I know I can't expect much from onboard speakers, but are they at least of similar sound quality to the speakers built into the Macbook?

10. SmallDane macrumors member

SmallDane

The speakers aren't that great. The iMac speakers are definitely better. I have no experience with the Macbook though.

11. cmhsam macrumors 6502

Dell u2713hm. Newegg has it on sale today for 469