Best Value in New Line Up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sully, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Sully macrumors regular

Sully

Which MacBook Pro gives you the best value for the money 13in or 15 in.?

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Really depends on your use. Something like $400-500 more for a 15" than a 13" from what I can tell. Quad-core CPU, dGPU and larger screen. If that's useful to you then that's better value.

3. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Unless you really need the 13" form factor I would think the 15" is a better value - % wise

4. Sully thread starter macrumors regular

Sully

I was thinking the same thing. It seems like part of what you're paying for with the 13" is the size.

5. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I would say the base high end for 512ssd.

You could get the low end and add 512 for 200$ but that's only 100$ cheaper and you get a better graphics card.

6. Closingracer macrumors 68020

I would say none of them are.... Overpriced even more and not worth buying when you can get a 2015 model and can pretty much do the same thing at the fraction of the price. $1,800 is retarded when you can get a windows machine for quarter of the price with similar specs

7. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Didn't answer OP question. Just had to get your critique in? :)

8. Closingracer macrumors 68020

Well because it's true. They outright are overpriced Apple fanboy pcs. I am very glad I have a 2015 model and will be my only Macbook I will buy.

9. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

If they are overpriced than precious generations were also over priced...like the one you bought. I personally only buy mine used for incredible prices...so understand the cost consideration. OP was interested in opinions on the best value of the new lineup.

10. Closingracer macrumors 68020

This is a whole new level of overpriced. $1,800 for the base model with the touch panel? No thanks. Thr 2015 model is better overall buy. The 15 inch you can make a solid argument it's better...

11. Sully thread starter macrumors regular

Sully

I know what you mean. I've been using a $700 Dell to tide me over and the specs exceed the Air and the base 13in Pro from the last iteration at a third less cost.

But, when I compare comparably equipped high end PC's like the XPS and the SurfaceBook, the prices are the same. All of these high end products are expensive now.

I'm honestly having a hard time now these have been released. Windows 10 isn't that bad - not like Windows was when I switched over years ago. But, I still have a few screwy driver issues that I never experience when using OS X.

12. Closingracer macrumors 68020

At $1,100 basically the HP spectre has an Intel i7 dual core cpu (skylake) 8gb of ram 256gb ssd and a 1080p screen for $1,300 for the base Macbook Pro it you get a dual core i5 (broadwell) 8gb of ram, retina display and 128gb ssd. Spec wise the hp wins in almost every category. Apple to apples the hp is a better laptop at a cheaper price.

13. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Yes but if you want to do iOS app development or your purchased programs are only available for Mac OS you are stuck with buying a Mac. You can preach all day about how PC prices are way lower than Apple prices but we already know PC is cheaper, we also know that we buy 2-3 PCs for every 1 Mac. so your $1,000 price point becomes $2000 - $3000, before part replacements within the lifespan of each computer. IBM even did an analysis on it.

As to the OP, it's going to come down to two factors. 1) do you need the larger screen? and 2) Can you justify a $400 price jump just for the Touch Bar feature and a slightly faster CPU? (CPU price difference is probably less than $100 so Touch Bar is right around $300)