Best value ND filter

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steven1621, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

I know with photography you get what you pay for, so I'm not afraid to drop cash when required. But for a ND filter for my Nikkor 18-200mm, I just want to get something reasonable. My photography also varies a lot, and I like to travel with minimal gear, so I need something versatile. Any ideas?

2. dcains macrumors regular

You mentioned versatility, so I'd suggest a kit of HiTech filters from this vendor:

http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/hitech8.html

A solid ND is used for long exposures, while a gradual ND is used for skies or other unevenly lighted situations. The HiTech's are the best you'll find in a reasonably-priced filter that retains color neutrality. The Lee's and Singh-Ray's are a bit better, but grossly more $. Avoid the Cokin's, because of their color shift.

3. Steven1621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check them out.

4. dcains macrumors regular

If you just want to shoot long exposures, such as to blur flowing water, etc., a standard screw-on ND, maybe a 3 or 4 stop, from Hoya or B+W is a quick and inexpensive way to start. There are also screw-on GND's available, but the downside is that the horizon line is fixed, which isn't always going to be what you want. Square or rectangular filters can be positioned in their holder to meet any situation, or they can even be hand-held. Also, a screw-on GND on a crop-sensor body will appear almost dark all over, because you're only shooting the center of the frame.