best value?? (refurb 2011 i5 13" pro vs 2010 c2d air)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nashville man, Jan 13, 2012.

1. nashville man macrumors newbie

Options:
    1) $929 for spring 2011 entry level 13" MBP refurb - i5, 4g ram, 320g hd (5400)
    2) $1049 for fall 2010 loaded 13" MBA new - CD2, 4g ram, 256 ssd

Not a power user, just normal office and web use...understand older vs newer processor and differences in MBP v MBA,but...

Which Is better value and what would you choose???

What say you???

2. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Take the $929 for the MBP. If you're only doing regular tasks like internet and Office, why not get a Mac Mini for $599? Anyways, the MBP will be more than enough. There isn't a need to pay the extra money for a MBA unless you want thin and sleekness.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd go with the MPB only for the fact that the i5 will give you more expandability and "future proof" your investment, i.e., should provide a longer term solution.

4. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

If you don't need the processor speed then get the Air. The SSD will make normal file reading tasks seem much faster and you'll have a way better screen and battery life.

5. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

Why is everyone recommending the MBP?!?! Didnt you read what the poster is going to use the computer for?!?

I quote him...

For this type of use, the MBA is superior to the MBP:
    • You will benefit way more from the SDD than from the i5 processor
    • MBA has higher screen resolution so it's better for web browser and Excel/Word files
    • MBA is lighter, more portable and it runs cooler

The only advantage of the MBP is the processing muscle, but you won't use any of it for normal office, web browsing, etc.

Go for the MBA.

6. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

MBP. Not close.

MBP is expandable, has a better quality screen, is MUCH faster and more future-proof, has more storage, an optical drive, and better battery life.

MBA makes you pay considerably more to get . . . less.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can also add an SSD to the MBP thus the only advantage the MBA has at this point is size and weight. Of course if traveling is a must and the person is a road warrior those are important factors.

8. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

^fixed it for you. The poster asked best deal for the $. Also, the MBA has a better screen than the 13"MBP hands down.

9. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

No it doesn't.

The MBA has a higher resolution screen, but its color accuracy is poor. The MBP uses a higher quality panel, providing much better color. The Air looks washed-out and dull.

The MBP is a far better value.

10. nashville man, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

nashville man thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all. Sounds like a "split decision in the ring!" Any thoughts on better/worse reliability???

Sounds likes it basically comes down to portability of Air vs.expandability of MBP...And the $100 price advantage of tbe 2010 Air (halfway toward paying for Applecare??)

Now for $999, could get a 2011 refurbished 11" Air 4/128 from Apple...but then it is "apples and oranges" comparison of 11" vs 13" screen etc.

This is a very informed and helpful group on this forum. As someone totally new to Mac and making the switch from PC, I want to say thanks. It helps to have folks wiser than oneself with experience to ask advice.