Best value set up with matte screen advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by willie45, Jun 15, 2009.

1. willie45 macrumors regular

Hi

I'm not very knowledgable about macs or computing in genera, so excuse my ignorance. I converted from windows a couple of years ago and have never regretted this. However my white iMac is not getting any younger and I am considering a newer model. I will not buy the new iMac due to its glossy screen. (I'm not wanting a debate about the glossy and my preference will not change ) I use my mac it for photography pretty much exclusively and it seems that the most likely options is to go for a mac pro with a 3rd party monitor, probably an Eizo or similar.

However, would there be any sense in buying a macbook or MBP and using the screen with that? I am sure I don't really need the power of the Mac Pro and that a notebook of some description would do the job.

What are your views?

Thanks

Willie

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You could always hook up a matte screen to a new iMac and have the matte for photographs and the glossy for palettes and misc. A mini would suffice for the work you do. It can support 2 matte screens.

3. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

I know that a lot of people on here are firm believers in, buy the best Mac you can afford, if you can afford a Mac Pro, it will serve you well, and for a long time, and they tend to keep their resale value when you choose to upgrade. I personally LOVE my Mac Pro, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

If you only want to buy a MB/P then yeah you can use it with an external monitor, plus have the advantage of portability if you need it.

The choice is really up to you, but I can guarantee that you wouldn't be disappointed with a Mac Pro.

4. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

Well thanks for the speedy replies folks. I don't really have the space for an iMac and another screen on my desk though i can see the advantages. I wasn't sure if the Mac Mini woudl have sufficient power for what I want but if it does it is another option.

The Pro does appeal for obvious reasons, but the expense is a bit more than I can afford at present. I certainly couldn't go for the more expensivfe versions and would be limited to the most basic. Would this still represent god value?

I have to say maybe a few hundred pounds more iwould be money well spent in the longer term, and perhaps I should save for a bit longer and go for that.

Anyway I appreciate the help folks so thanks again

Willie