Best value?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by birik, Jul 21, 2002.

  1. birik macrumors newbie

    Jul 21, 2002
    New York
    Hi all!
    I am about to buy 3 or 4 new high end PowerMacs with displays (got to have them by mid-September). What do you think is it worse waiting for new machines or should I take advantage of displays savings now? Another concern is how new machines will work with Sinewave cards.
  2. gropo macrumors member


    Jun 25, 2002
    Queens, NYC
    Best Policy:

    wait 'till the newest PowerMacs are released, then immediately buy the last-gen at the new cut rate.

    Regardless of the current savings special on bundled displays, you'll save a bit of cash.

    P.S. Apple hates it when I recommend that course of action ;P
  3. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

    Jan 17, 2002
    Big Shoulders
    I think you mean Cinewave cards. They're nice and they work pretty well. But I might look into Digital Voodoo cards, they're a bit more, but they're absolutely amazing.

    Definitly get a Dual Processor. And if you're just editing video, and using a 3rd party RT card, the processor doesn't matter as much because the real meat is being offloaded to the Cinewave.

    BUT...a faster BUS speed would do you more wonders than a faster processor. ;)
  4. Grokgod macrumors 6502a


    Feb 26, 2002
    Deep within the heart of madness!
    W A I T !

    No doubt about it, of course its a painful course of action.

    I myself have been waiting a LONG time! as have many others!

    But i see no recourse, unless you enjoy throwing money away and regreting it.

  5. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

    Jan 17, 2002
    Big Shoulders
    Dude, you REALLY need a piece. :p :p :p LOL! ;)
  6. solvs macrumors 603


    Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    My advice

    Wait as long as you can, buy a Top-of-the-Line what ever comes out, with SCSI hard drives if you can afford it, and you'll be happy for some time. Even if you just use it for Video, speed is speed (unless you're talking Intels. DO NOT BUY PCs FOR AUDIO/VIDEO).

    If you want to save some money, buy the new low-ends. Or older models at a huge discount if the memory and specs aren't better with the new ones. Or some ReFurb models. Use the money saved on a RAID array. Not sure what your budget is for this, though, or what it is you'll be using them for.

    Don't forget, the current discount is on the displays. So either new displays are coming out, or current ones will be discounted (or both). Dual Displays with one LCD, one CRT are preferrable, and an NTSC (or Pal) display if you can.

    Also, have you thought about using an Aurora Ignighter RT.

    Little cheaper (depends on your definition of cheap), but good products and good drivers (even OS X). Lot of options and better support.

    Personally, I can wait. I guess I have to. But I would like an RTMac, if Matrox ever comes out with OS X driver. Otherwise, I can do without for now. Can't afford the Aurora I want just yet. We're definitely too small for a CineWave. I'm assuming you mean the HDTV one. Must be nice though.

    Good luck.
  7. SilvorX macrumors 68000


    May 24, 2002
    'Toba, Canada
    ya just wait till the new powermacs ;), n if they are too expensive, wait till mwsf ;) or whenever u want :S
  8. Mr Jobs macrumors regular

    Apr 7, 2002
    London, England
    didn't get it first...but found it very funny when i did, nice one

Share This Page