Best Verizon option for new customers (2 lines)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by puma1552, Sep 9, 2014.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

Getting out of AT&T and probably going with Verizon for my wife and I - two 4.7" iPhone 6 models.

Right now leaning towards signing a 2 year contract and doing the share everything plan with unlimited talk/text and 2 GB data for $130/month plus tax/fees.

That would be $600 up front for the two phones, plus $XX each for activation, plus $XX for sales tax, then $130 a month plus tax and fees.

Or, I could buy the phones outright for $750 each, or $1500 up front plus tax, plus activation. What I can't find is what the monthly price would be for the same plan above from Verizon for a non-subsidized phone.

So which option is cheaper for two new lines on Verizon? On contract or buying the phones outright?

2. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I would highly recommend going with two single line plans for $60/each.

It comes out to $120 + taxes and fees for two plans. Each plan comes with 2 GB.

It's a limited time plan running till September 30th, but once you get it, you'll have it till you give it up.

That is what I'm planning on doing as, even if I go over and use 3 GB every few months, it's still a great deal.

3. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Is that with unlimited talk/text too?

4. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Correct.

5. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

You and me both! My original plan was to get their cheapest Share Everything Plan at $90 for a few months, then break the contract and go back to Straight Talk for the $45.

Now I think I will stick to the plan. The $60 plan actually works out to be cheaper than that; if you assume around $22 phone subsidy, that leaves you with $38 on freakin' VERIZON network, the best network bar none.

6. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

I have one phone on verizon on the $90 plan and one phone on sprint. I am planning on ditching sprint but can't tell if I can change my one phone on verizon to the $60 plan and add another line for $60 with the iphone 6. I am debating whether to go to t mobile with the second phone.

7. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

This looks like a MUCH better deal than AT&T - I'm currently paying $160/month for two iPhones on a family plan with 2 GB each and unlimited talk/text. That's a 25% savings compared to now, with hopefully a better network in my area. $40 a month savings more than makes up for the ETF to get out of the last 7-8 months of our AT&T contract.

I noticed though, this plan isn't currently listed on Apple's site, just Verizon's, so should I plan on having to do the preorder through Verizon and not Apple? Apple's site only lists the share everything plans, at least right now.

8. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Also correct. We will need to do the pre order on Verizon's website.

9. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Good to know, I think this is the route I will take. Was also looking at buying outright and going prepaid, but this really isn't too bad at all.

10. willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

Wow. Thanks for the heads up. That is a better deal and every bit counts. Thanks again!

11. GDF macrumors regular

The Verizon Allset plan sounds like a good one - at 45 a month unlimited talk/text and 1 gb of data if you select autopay. I am not sure how to get the iPhone 6 with that though, unless paying full price at the Apple Store???

12. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

That's only for prepaid.

13. GDF macrumors regular

Yes - I understand, but it still seems like a better deal.

14. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Couple other questions about this - I'm practicing my preorder regimen to get through it as quickly as possible.

It looks like if I choose two phones, that single line plan option disappears, so it looks like I have to buy two phones as completely separate transactions?

Also, if that is the case, will there be a problem with the preorder if I put both phones in my name? Will it not allow me to order two separate single line phones/plans?

Finally, are the bills going to be separate? That would be kind of a hassle.