Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MissGreen08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
I will be getting a Macbook next weekend, and I've been looking on a few websites as to what version of Windows to install using Boot Camp. I will only be using the windows portion to play The Sims 2. I'd prefer to have XP over Vista since I've had more experience with it. But I'm not sure which version will be right for me. 32 vs. 64 bit? OEM?

Thanks in advance for the help!

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
XP 32bit should be fine for your needs. Getting the OEM version will be cheaper than a boxed (retail) version - you just have to try an find it for sale somewhere :)

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
I would go with 32 bit and OEM. I really see no point in spending twice the cash for a retail license.

In terms of Vista vs. XP, I'll leave that choice up to you. It seems that you know what you want to buy. For a Macbook, I would probably go with XP. The intel X3100 drivers for Vista aren't very good. However, I honestly don't know how they are in XP.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I wouldn't get XP 64bit, its barely supported by anyone, if you want 64 bit get Vista.

I think XP 32 bit will be fine for now, but Vista is probably more future-proof at this stage.

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2007
Don't let the haters fool you.. Vista is an amazing OS and will run great on your macbook. If you plan to have 4 gb of memory you need the 64-bit version.

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Don't let the haters fool you.. Vista is an amazing OS and will run great on your macbook. If you plan to have 4 gb of memory you need the 64-bit version.

I'm far from a hater of Vista.

The last time I checked, the Intel x3100 drivers are incomplete for Vista, since they don't support DX10 (although the hardware itself does). That last I heard is that DX10 support is slated to be released in the first quarter of this year. However, I don't know if this has changed recently.

I personally disdain integrated graphics anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.