Best version of Windows for Parallels?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by acctman, Sep 5, 2014.

1. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

Is Windows 8.1 the best version of Windows for Parallels? Keeping in mind memory and resource usage.

2. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Many people swear by windows 7, but I've been happy with the performance of 8.1 on parallels. Just had to install start8 so I have a normal start menu.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can't answer for Parallels (I'm a vmware fusion user), but I like windows 8.1. I think either version will be fine as well.

4. acctman thread starter macrumors 6502a

acctman

what are you system specs running vmware fusion

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Straight from their website

6. Exhale macrumors 6502

The Win 8 series is technically better behaving in low RAM and virtualised environments.

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Windows 8 (or 8.1) doesn't run the app I need to run under Windows, so it's a no-go. But when I did try it under Parallels when Windows 8 came out I found it an unhappy combination (fault really being it really wants a touch screen).

Beyond that, I'm happily running Windows 7 as well as XP and 2000 under Parallels 9.

8. bulldozer72 macrumors newbie

It also depends on your personal preference I'd say go 7 but that's me. I've had a lot of issues with parallels. Reading through a lot of parallel forums it seems like the best solution to issues with parallels is installing bootcamp.

9. cammyg123 macrumors regular

cammyg123

I love Windows 7 with Parallels. I've used Parallels for years now and 7 has been my best experience. I use Windows XP occasionally on it but it's usually 7, and it works great. Windows XP still is great as well, but for obvious reasons it's probably better too stay away from XP unless you only plan on using core features.

I am a firm believer in 7 and XP on Parallels.