Best vertical stand for MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sofianito, Sep 2, 2013.

1. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

I'm looking for the best bang for the buck vertical stand for MBA...

I found the Twelvesouth BookArc for Air which looks nice.

Any other choices?

2. GuitarZero macrumors newbie

I went with the BookArc Air. The build quality is amazing.

3. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

The only other one I remember seeing was made by Rain and I think it was even more expensive than the BookArc.

4. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

The TwelveSouth BookArc is a nice stand. The only negative I have encountered in using mine is something TwelveSouth can't fix: The 'split' between Thunderbolt and Magsafe cables when using my TBD.

If you're looking for a classy and secure way to keep your MBA upright and in clamshell mode, you'll do no better. I actually have their BookArc for my MBP and another for my iPad as well, so I obviously think highly of the product.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I was using a pair of TwelveSouth BookArk stands for my MBA... connected to:
    1. Home: ATD
    2. Work: ACD
    Both have a full set of peripherals (wireless: mouse, trackpad, keyboard)

I have since switched to a horizontal stand instead for each location: Landing Zone 2 Pro

My issue was that I like to shut off BlueTooth before I undock... but once I do so, I needed to remove my laptop from the stand, open it, logout, etc.

If I do not log out, I find that I am using my laptop (as a portable) at home... and it was constantly connecting/disconnecting from my wireless peripherals across the house.

Then... when I got to work... if BT was not already on... I generally would not realize it until I was already docked... and wondering why my peripherals were not connecting.

Using a horizontal dock has simplified things a lot. Irrespective of which mode my laptop is in (BT on/off), I just change settings in the horizontal position. I will also often use my laptop screen as a second display.

For me... going horizontal has simplified things.

The LandingZone is not the most beautiful thing in the world... but it works better for me than a vertical dock.

/Jim

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Is it healthy to run a Macbook in clamshell mode like that? The fan has to work harder to push the hot air downwards.

7. inkyfingers macrumors newbie

I run mine in clamshell mode all day in the office using a bookarc and have no problems with overheating. One of the reasons the design works so well is that the machine has clear air all round it rather than being sat on a desk or on your lap.

8. nho11 macrumors newbie

I started with the BookArc, but did not like the amount of real-estate that it took up on my medium sized desk and the plugging of multiply cords. I moved to the Henge Dock and couldn't be happier. I've had it for about 1.5 years and it is still great. I like it because I only need to attach one cable (power) and the others are plugged in all of the time to the dock. While the Thunderbolt port only supports Mini DisplayPort ability, it is fine for me as it only goes to the monitor. Also, the single USB port works for me because I have it run to a powered hub that I keep various things plugged into.
    So the two potential down falls are the USB is only 2.0 and Thunderbolt connection is only Mini DisplayPort. Depends on your set up.

9. sofianito thread starter macrumors 65816

sofianito

Thanks for the suggestions!

How good is the BookArc's cable management? If for instance I unplug the MBA from the stand, how easy is it to take out the power cord and adapter from the built-in cable manager?

The Rain mTower is nice too. It is $10 more expensive than the BookArc but it is the only stand which support all MBA and (r)MBP sizes through provided rubber inserts. It doesn't have cable management feature though.

The Henge Dock looks good but it's the most expensive... Isn't the USB port a pass-through port? Also the laptop doesn't seem to have clear air at the bottom. Does it overheat?

10. sofianito thread starter macrumors 65816

sofianito

This morning, I designed and tested a cheaper solution that fixes your issues :D

You would just need to press the power button and plug your laptop to the stand. No need to login on your laptop before using it in clamshell mode. It'll activate BT at boot time. Login out and in would also disable and enable respectively BT.

For that you need to:

1) Install Homebrew
    2) Install blueutil with brew. It allows you to enable/disable BT with command line
    3) Set a Login and Logout hooks for enabling/disabling BT when user login or logout.
    4) Create a Launch Daemon to activate BT at boot

Et voilà :D... If you need detailed instructions, I'd gladly provide them :)

11. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

It is a simple silicone/rubber loop shaped like a "C" (but more closed than that) and you just bend it and slip the cable in and out. I have 2 BookArcs; love them.

12. sofianito thread starter macrumors 65816

sofianito

BookArc for MBA WTF?

Last week, I bought the the Twelve South BookArc along with my MBA in a US Apple store. Now that I am back to Spain I just opened the box and didn't find the built-in cable management...:mad:

Should I contact my local Apple store or Twelve South? Any hint appreciated.

13. ItHurtsWhenIP, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

The cable management is just the circular cut-out in the slot the computer sits in, no?

What were you expecting, the cable shown in the picture?

From their website:
    It does look like they have one cable for power, monitor and keyboard in the pictures/videos I've seen. Like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvAXuUK91rA

14. sofianito thread starter macrumors 65816

sofianito

Yes, I was expecting the white cable shown in TwelveSouth's pictures:
    [​IMG]

15. ItHurtsWhenIP, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

I've been looking for that cable for a while, still haven't found it yet.

I ordered myself a BookArc (that came in the mail today, actually), and it didn't come with any cables, but I wasn't expecting it to.

EDIT - Found it. It's a 3-in-1 cable that comes with the Apple Cinema Display. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-27-in...Cable-New-922-9743-for-A1316-27-/181130423785

Check out the second picture.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC007LL/A/apple-led-cinema-display-27-flat-panel

16. w00d macrumors member

Pretty sure that is the cable that comes with an Apple 27" monitor.

17. sofianito thread starter macrumors 65816

sofianito

So you mean the cable shown in the picture is just a cable that has nothing to do with the product?

18. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

Sorry, I edited my post to add more.

Yes, it's just to show that the cables sit in the circular cut-out. That's what they mean by management, that there's somewhere for them to be organized..

The cable is from the Apple Cinema Display.

[​IMG]

19. sofianito thread starter macrumors 65816

sofianito

Oh I see... :eek:. Thanks a lot for the clarification :)

I'll add the ACD to my wish list... :D

20. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

No problem..don't forget the magsafe to magsafe 2 adapter. :)

21. sofianito thread starter macrumors 65816

sofianito

Not sure whether ACD is better than ATD, but it looks like the ATD includes the MagSafe to MagSafe 2 converter... This will saves me some bucks if both displays are equally good... :)

22. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

From Apple Q&A page..http://store.apple.com/us/question/...play-and-the-cinema-display/QDCY4TXCTTYD977HD

The differences between the two are:

Cinema display needs 3 connections to work, Thunderbolt display uses 2.

Cinema display works with Mini Display port, Thunderbolt display only works with Thunderbolt port.

cinema display has 3 USB 2.0 ports on the back, the thunderbolt display has 3 USB 2.0 ports, FireWire 800, an additional Thunderbolt port and an ethernet port.

apart from that, they look identical, have the same screen resolution and cost exactly the same.