Best Vertical Stand for New 2016 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brock2621, Dec 8, 2016.

1. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Title says it all; wanted to get a sense of what everyone was leaning towards on the vertical stands that fit the new MBP without doubling up sleeve inserts or anything. Thanks!

2. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

There are 2016 MBP compatible stands out now? I haven't been able to find any, just ones for the 2015 MBP and the early 2016 MacBook.

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

they are different for the new ones? I thought they weighed less? My wife bought me a Twelve South brand they sell at Apple. Ive had it for 6 months now - i like it. People state that it slips off (in some reviews), but i say that is nonsense. I have the new keyboard and mouse, so maybe that is why it doesnt slip?

4. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

The 2016 MBP is thinner than the previous. From Twelve South's own product description for the BookArc: "The current BookArc features three interchangeable inserts to work with any MacBook excluding the 2016 MacBook Pro's. We will be producing new inserts for the new 2016 MacBook Pro, which will be available in early 2017."

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

6. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

Ah gotcha, I thought you were referring to the BookArc or other similar ones, where the device is closed and in clamshell mode and stands vertical. How is that HiRise stand, is it beefy/heavy?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm waiting for the new BookArc also and have not found anything else similar. I emailed them for an update and got this yesterday.

8. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

Twelve South just updated their Book Arc to support 2016 MacBook Pro. I just purchased and have one on the way.

9. TwelveSouth macrumors newbie

TwelveSouth

You can now buy the full BookArc dock which will include the new insert (insert D) which is compatible with the new MacBook Pros OR if you already have a BookArc we are selling just the updated insert at the link below. Thanks!

https://www.twelvesouth.com/store/product/bookarc-insert-for-macbook-pro-with-thunderbolt-3

10. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

So excited for the update! Not many vertical stands support the 2016 models and I almost settled for a less than ideal solution.

11. smirking macrumors 6502a

Ugh, I was hoping that they'd also release an insert for the original BookArc for the 2016 MBP. So far that doesn't appear to be the case.

12. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I have the HiRise and the BookArc by Twelvesouth.

I use the HiRise almost daily when I hook it up to my external monitor.

The BookArc not as often, but it's nice to have.

13. volzalum macrumors member

I'm waiting for the hengedock to release theirs. I like not having to plug/unplug the cable. I do like the styling of the bookarc though.

14. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

What is the difference between the BookArc MacBook Pro editions? I own one of them not sure if it's compatible.

15. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I much prefer the look of the previous BookArc over the new one, so that's the one I've ordered.
    I don't care that it's 2.5mm too big, or that the MacBook might sit at a slight tilt, it's not as if the MacBook is going to fall out and I'm sure if I really wanted to I could 3D print a shim to put under the rubber and make the gap smaller.

I don't know, it's probably just me but the changes they made to the new BookArc make it look like a cheap Chinese knockoff. But each to his/her own of course.

When that arrives today along with the extra 87W power supply, charging cable, USB-C card reader and Thunderbolt 2 cable, my huge collection of new things I can look at but can't use until Friday will be complete :D

16. SoloXis macrumors newbie

I'm using an IKEA FANTASTISK napkin holder for mine. Works well so far, supports all laptop models :D

Attached Files:

17. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

I'm really disappointed for twelve south too... they don't even keep developing the rubber insert for the mod... if you have the aluminum one, you can try email them see if they are willing to send you an insert..

however, even the mod is for the thicker mbp (maybe even ones with optical drives), my mbp sits just fine. it tilts a little, but who cares, and it makes it easier to dock and undock.

18. TwelveSouth macrumors newbie

TwelveSouth

The original BookArc was originally released in 2009 with a full update in 2015. As Apple continued to scale the size of their MacBook's down we did the same with BookArc so that the inserts could be thinner and the stand itself would take up less room on your desk. Below you will see a picture of the original as well as the update. The best indication is the chrome chamfer edge (the BookArc on the right of the picture). If you have this version then the new inserts will work - if you have the original version (on the left) unfortunately the new inserts aren't compatible. You will still be able to use your original BookArc but the laptop will not sit fully upright but will tilt slightly as the insert is just a bit too large.

Attached Files:

19. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

I owned the 1st gen henge dock in 2011 and while it worked, it was too restrictive. The dock became useless once you got a new laptop.

That also doesn't take into account the very tight tolerances needed to get all the ports lined up. Over time, it put more stress on my cables and ports than I would've liked.

I've given up on these types of docking solutions and will be getting an LG 5K display instead. One cable docking is where it's at.

20. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

Well Crap! I wish I saw that yesterday. Won't be the first time I threw away $10. I have the one on the left and ordered the new insert.....

21. CPark98 macrumors member

I've had a Rain Design mStand for my 2016 MBP 15" for a couple months now and it has been amazing so far. fullsizeoutput_9fa.jpeg

22. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

23. csurfr macrumors 6502a

Holy dock icons Batman!

I have the 12 South Book Arc and am currently using the Retina MacBook Pro insert with my 13" Pro. It's not sung by any means, but it will work until the new insert arrives. Unfortunate that I got my Book Arc less than a month and a half ago and have to buy the insert. . . I would have thought they might have sent it out as a freebie if you purchased the product after the 2016 was released.

24. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

Got my book arc in. It fits my 13" 2016 MBP really well. The finish on it isn't as smooth as Apple's aluminum, but I haven't come across aluminum as nice as Apple's. The finish is similar to Rain's stand.

Based on my research, the book arc is the best vertical stand available. It looks great and I can quickly dock my laptop in clamshell mode to save desk space.

I also own the Rain stand and that's the best stand available for docking with your laptop open.

25. PeterJay macrumors newbie

PeterJay

I had that one, and it is much more solid than the new one.

Note that it doesn't fit the 2016 models as well as the new one will and is probably a less good option for future compatibility, but my old MBP lasted 6 years- so maybe that isn't too much to worry about.