Best vhs for transfers

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by waloshin, Jul 7, 2016.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Is the Panasonic AG 1980 the best VHS for transferring vhs to digital? Or is it junk today?

Thanks

2. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Waloshin, I can only offer an opinion here - picking the right means to transfer includes both audio and of course video. Some devices are problematic with playback of higher quality audio. You didn't mention what type of VHS tapes you are wanting to tranfer, what speed they are recorded at etc. Some VHS player/transfer units succeed well in some venues but not others. Then again, maybe a service would be a good option.

3. mcpix macrumors regular

Back in the day, the Panasonic AG 1980 was great for transferring VHS to digital. The problem with buying a used one today is that because they were used professionally, it will most likely have lots of wear on the heads. The best bet today is to find a used consumer JVC S-VHS deck. The S-VHS output provides a superior transfer and most JVCs include a software "edit" switch that provides the cleanest signal possible. Some of the higher end models even include a TBC (time base corrector) that will help with some tapes. Since these decks were not used professionally, your chances of finding a clean, low hours model is much greater.

4. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

5. markphil1424 macrumors newbie

markphil1424

I have one of these, seems to do a decent job. I can also import to FCP X to edit and clean-up the video, then it can be converted to any number of formats. I like the workflow better than using converter boxes, etc.

Funai ZV427FX4 Combination VCR and DVD Recorder