Best Video Camera for family and editing use with Mac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by safetyobc, Oct 21, 2007.

1. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

My wife and I are looking for a good quality video camera to buy. We don't want to spend over $300 to $400 on a decent camera.

We have an old (5+ years) tape based camera that the video quality....well frankly it sucks! We want a camera that is going to take high quality video (not necessarilly HD, but still good).

I am ignorant in the video camera space. What specs do I look for, etc? I will likely walk into a big box store (best buy, circuit city, etc.) and buy one next week. I just wanted to do some research before I commit.

Our needs are only family video. However, I want to dabble in video editing with my new Macbook Pro (using iMovie and iMovie 06).

Any suggestions?

2. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Well if you don't want HD then stick with DV (MiniDV). Easy to edit, looks nice. Contrary to popular belief, tapes are still where it's at if you aren't going the AVCHD route (expensive.)

Try and get 3CCD. Sony or Panasonic.

3. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

take a look over at camcorderinfo.com

I recommend the Canon Elura 100 (if you can find it), the Sony HC96, or the Canon ZR850. All are Mini-DV based, which are seamlessly compatible with Macs. You'll also need to pick up a Firewire 400 A-B cable.

4. seany916 macrumors 6502

We have an Elura 100. It's not bad. Like all small cameras, it suffers in low light (all the same in this price range). Don't know what cameras are more current/better values, but the Elura is okay.

5. jolton macrumors member

Whether HD or SD, stick with Mini DV. Picture quality on a whole will be better, plus you can save those tapes as an archive if you don't tape over them.

If you don't want an HD camera, stick with a 3ccd camcorder. I used to have a panasonic and it was a great little camera.

However, I would HIGHLY recommend that if you can swing it, get yourself a Cannon HV20, or any HD camcorder for that matter. It truly is like night and day when you see the difference.

Think about when you look back and watch the video 10 years from now.