Best video card I can get for my Power mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stinkey diver, Feb 6, 2008.

1. stinkey diver macrumors newbie

I just bought a power mac and want to upgrade the video card to the best possible. Do i HAVE to get a special mac made nvidia card or can i get a high end 8x agp nvidia or ati card? Ive herd some will work but some wont. Please advise.

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You pretty much have to get a Mac specific card. A few standard cards will work but only after you flash them with a Mac rom which requires a PC.

3. stinkey diver thread starter macrumors newbie

4. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

if you go by the book, the best you can get for a Powermac g4 is a 9800pro. however, ppl have been successful flashing PC graphics cards and putting them into powermac G4s, but its alot more DIY than most ppl like

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

The best depends on what model you have. Most all of the G4s it is the ATI 9800. For PowerMac G5s I want to say the best is ATI X800 but I could be wrong about that.

6. stinkey diver thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Dainas macrumors newbie

Well, that technically is the best you can get if you have a 133/166mhz fsb Powermac G4 or AGP G5. I would not spend that on a G4 but for a higher AGP G5 it could be worth it. Just make sure you do NOT have a PCIe G5.

That card cost $250 brand new 2 years ago. Know because thats what I payed for it to use in a PC back then. Exact same model down to the cooler (its actually a BFG 7800GS OC, not GT) and I flashed it myself and it now resides in my powermac. I'd wait as I have seen that exact same card already flashed for way less. Its about a $100 videocard today that someone just took a few minutes to flash in a PC.

8. stinkey diver thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive got a dual 1.8ghz g5. If I can find one to buy that i can flash ill probably go for it.