Best Video Converter for __ to mp4

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ktbubster, Dec 16, 2007.

1. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I just got an ipod touch and I have a lot of video files that I got from downloaded tv shows and the like as well as some from recorded tv from my elegato tv and tivo to go etc that I would like to put on my ipod touch.

I am looking for a good (i'd like it to convert the files without pixelation or weird blue tints or the like that I seem to have gotten from one called isquint or some free thing) video file converter to make them compatible with the ipod touch.

I need one that runs on the OSX platform. Preferably free or rather cheap. I heard roxio toast 8.0 does it (i see that 6.0 doesn't have that feature though) but that's a bit pricey. Are there any good cheap or free converters out there that will do a good job with these files and maybe even dvd movie files?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this was posted elsewhere a bajillion times and I suck at searching. :eek:

2. jeremyrader macrumors member

The EyeTV software should be able to upload your recorded shows into iTunes on its own, at least my version does.

Handbrake is free and does a really nice job for converting ripped DVDs for play on my wife's iPod (or just in iTunes).

I ran into an oddity with iTunes where I had converted some shows (LOST) as h.264 mp4 just to have on my MBP, but got a popup when I transferred them to my wife's iMac so she could put them on her iPod - something about not being the right format for her device, and gave the option to convert (which I did).

I have Roxio 8 Titanium on the wife's iMac, but don't really use it much - backing up the occasional DVD. It was free for us (gift), supposedly integrates nicely with EyeTV (which, oddly enough, is normally hooked up to my MBP), but it's much more than what you're probably looking for, especially if you have to pay full price.

Lastly, there's VisualHub. Best ~$25 I've spent on software this year. Converts from darn near any file format (including ripped .VOB files) into darn near any format with plenty of customizable options.

3. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Yeah I like VisualHub. Possibly overkill for iPod conversion, but it's not incredibly expensive.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

EyeTV has a button at the top labelled iPod. Click that and it will convert the EyeTV recorded shows to an iPod compatible format.

For everything else, MPEG Streamclip and ffmpegX are pretty hard to beat.

5. ktbubster thread starter macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Ok.... well I got a file converted to MP4 via isquint (i guess it's linked to the makers of visualhub?) and it converts and i can play it on my computer in VLC just fine, but when I transfer it to my Ipod touch, it either plays back choppy with blue fractally sections or... the second time i tried it played back with a extreme blue tint to everything. How do i keep that from happening or does anyone know how to keep that from happening when converting?

6. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Dont bother with any other program. Just get Handbrake. It works perfectly. Do it.