Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Well I just switched my iPhone over to my PC from my macbook and I have no idea what program I should use to convert videos on my PC.

You guys have any suggestions?

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
well its hear and im not going to re post it again, because double posting is rude

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Quicktime Pro. I'd imagine having a look at zdnet or cnet would give you an idea too.

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
http://www.xilisoft.com/

that's what i had for putting .avi and .wmv to my iphone.

works nice the torrent is out there too. not that i would use it ;)

I am giving that one a try, it seems to get it done a little bit faster. I have a pretty weak computer, arggg I wish there was a better way.

Update: I think this is one of the better ones out there. I like it, now its time to find my vids for the wait in line.

Roxerroneous

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2008
I am giving that one a try, it seems to get it done a little bit faster. I have a pretty weak computer, arggg I wish there was a better way.

Update: I think this is one of the better ones out there. I like it, now its time to find my vids for the wait in line.

Try handbrake. It's free and extremely easy (comes with different presets for iphone, apple TV, etc.). http://handbrake.fr/

Roxerroneous

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2008
is handbrake fast?

I've just started using it, but from my limited experience it depends on how you encode the file and of course on the hardware your running. I've been converting for use on apple TV (which by the way, handbrake does come with preset file settings for the iphone and apple TV) and it takes about 2 hours. I'm running Vista with 3 gig of memory and 2.2GHz core 2 duo processor. I've also run it on my sister's G5 and it said it would take about 6 hours. It does take a bit of time, but it is a great program in that you
1) pick a source
2) select a destination for the output file
3) choose a preset for encoding
and then you're ready to go.
So if you have an extra machine to do the work or set it up to run before you sleep, it's a great option.

god I loved handbreak on the mac, had no idea it was out for PC!!!:eek:

I had no idea either. I had heard so much about it on these forums but never knew of a PC version. I recently helped my sister out with her G5 and downloaded handbrake for her and noticed they had a PC download. I couldn't resist after that!

icecold0913

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
NOLA
Handbrake on windows is ridiculously easy to use, but I've been having problems encoding some DVDs lately, even when I use a different program to decode the files first. It's most likely because my pc is over three years old, so I got frustrated and I'm waiting until I get a new mac to finish.

But when handbrake works, it works very well. The quality is really good, I made a setting so the movies play on both iPhone and Apple TV, and it even lets you put the chapter names in!

Balty

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Super © .

a good all round conversion software is Super © .

it is a freeware and can convert basically any file format into any other file format

unfortunately it's only for windows... :(

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Is Handbrake for the PC good with Episode based DVDs? In other words, I typically buy seasons of favorite TV shows and would like to know if it breaks out the episodes nicely with a default configuration.

txr0ckabilly

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Southwest Louisiana
I usually just use videora ( http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPhone/ ) for my converting needs. If you decide to try it, do NOT use the Basic Settings, change the conversion rates to the 2 pass advanced conversion. If not, the video/audio sync will be messed up in a longer movie files.

i have a cheap target store dvd player (cost around $25) by the end of a movie the sound has lagged about 1 to 1.5 seconds behind the video. now i stop every movie about halfway through and restart it. it's annoying but i'm cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.