Best video converter for Yosemite macbookpro?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shankar2, Jan 10, 2015.

1. shankar2 macrumors 6502

Hi I have a few movies in mkv avi etc format

I wanna watch these movies in my iphone

What's the best way of either converting them to mp4 or watching them in same format mentioned above?

Thanks in advance!

2. Toltepeceno, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015

Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Waltr is the easiest. It uploads them to iphone straight away as is and you can watch with the native app. Unfortunately it is not cheap. I tried it uploading to the kid's ipad, very fast and easy.

http://softorino.com/waltr

mp4tools I use a lot and used even more on windows before moving to mac. It converts the container to mp4 in less than a minute (my mac mini) . I have done hundreds and have had no problem with them playing with mac, windows or any program including itunes. I will not convert mkv's, this is the way as there is no downside. It's lossless and better than conversion.

Mp4 converrter pro is free right now and not bad, but actual conversion is my last choice as it takes longer and is unnecessary.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id648899624

3. plinthadenoid macrumors newbie

4. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

It's not near as fast as mp4tools. I have it installed, but never use it. I could have put it as my extreme, very last choice.

5. EmileBerteloot macrumors newbie

If you want to watch them in the original format, I recommend VLC media player. Plays virtually any video and audio format you can imagine.

6. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone else use waltr? It seems to be messing with the normal iOS setup

7. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Handbrake is one of few applications that actually scale very well with newer machines, taking advantage of multi-core and multi-threaded capabilities.

It also has a batch input queue... so you can load up an entire library of videos and they will transcode to your new desired format in the background.

When you transcode... you get a new copy in the new format. You never lose your original source.

Handbrake is an absolutely fantastic program.

/Jim

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I use Waltr and it works well. I also haven't experienced it messing with normal iOS setup.

10. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Sure it's a good program, but what's the point in taking longer than the seconds it takes to use mp4tools? It's not necessary to recode so why do it? I don't see the point. It's lossless, it never changes anything but the container.

11. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

How long will it take mp4tools to convert a 2 gig avi movie to mp4 format?

12. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

In case you want to compress it because it's not necessary to have a 4K (or whatever) video on your iPhone?

13. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

The question posed by the op was conversion to mp4 or watching in original format. Watching in original format means he is not looking for compression so I don't see the point.

My movies are all 720p and in the 800mb range, but if you have 4k videos and want them compressed then of course you cannot do that with mp4tools. I still don't usr handbrake if I need to convert avi's though as it's slower than most,