Best video editing app for youtube vids?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kingc0bra, Aug 20, 2015.

1. kingc0bra macrumors regular

kingc0bra

What do you guys recommend for creating and editing youtube videos?

A free app would be best but I would consider purchasing one from the app store as well

2. rexone macrumors regular

Lake Weyba on the sub-tropical Sunshine Coast :)
    I just use iMovie for my stuff.
    It's okay but like most things Apple these days every new version seems to have good features removed while they load it up with more eye-candy.
    Here's my channel if you want to see some samples
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AGardenersClippings

3. Chloec macrumors member

Chloec

What materials that you would like to create into YouTube videos, images or videos?
    YouTube video editor allows you to combine multiple videos and images you've uploaded to create a new video, and you could do other editing like trim, add music, special effects.
    You could turn to this help to learn how to use YouTube Video Editor: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/183851?hl=en

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

Lightworks. The Free version. https://www.lwks.com/

If you want or need more, they've got it in their paid version.

This, coming from a person who has FCPX, Premier CC, and After Effects CC on my Mac.

5. kingc0bra thread starter macrumors regular

kingc0bra

Thanks! I checked out the channel, looks like you've done some neat videos on there! I'll try out imovie, hopefully its not too much of a memory hog like iphoto

6. kingc0bra thread starter macrumors regular

kingc0bra

Thanks for the recommendation! Would you recommend this over imovie?

7. kingc0bra thread starter macrumors regular

kingc0bra

Thanks for the info!

I have looked into the youtube editor but it seems rather limited in its features.

I'm looking to create videos with different clips combined together as well as adding text and transitions etc...

8. campyguy macrumors 68030

Sorry for the delay, my brother flew in from Sitka and we had a bit of catching up to do...

For YouTube vids, absolutely. I really like iMovie for what it is - a pretty decent add on to a Mac. If an older Mac were in use I'd also recommend the old Final Cut Express app that I used to use - I bridged to the new iMovie, and wanted a bit more power so I moved to the CC suite and FCPX. FWIW, my biz partner and I are starting a new business in the coming months and we'll be using Lightworks for our YT materials - he's on Windows and I'm on Macs & Windows but author on Macs. I also like LW because we can just sub for a month to unlock all of the tools, then get back to work - we're in service industries, not videographers but we like to dabble too!

BTW, there's another beast to try out, and there's a version on the MAS - DaVinci Resolve Lite. I think Blackmagic also has a v. 12 public beta of their $30k software on their website, but Resolve is out of my depth. The Lite SW might be worth a look, and the price is right!

9. Chloec macrumors member

Chloec

Then, +1 iMovie

10. 1959Loretta macrumors newbie

1959Loretta

HELP! I've just joined this forum. I've been a devout Mac and iPhone user for many many years now. I know have young grandchildren and the video on my iPhone is not sufficient. I need a camcorder or video recorder, and one that is compatible with MAC and iMovie. I seen so many that aren't compatible. I'd like a good camcorder, not real expensive, with good sound, that I can edit on iMovie, upload to YouTube and copy to DVD. DO you have any suggestions? PLEASE :)

11. kingc0bra thread starter macrumors regular

kingc0bra

What is your budget?