Best video editing software compatible for my Mac?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tripleseven1, Dec 11, 2013.

1. tripleseven1 macrumors newbie

Hard drive space: 319.08 GB, 136.46 GB Free
    Model Name: MacBook Pro 2007
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 2 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz

My specs for my macbook. i know, old machine. i have to video edits as a side job and im running Final Cut Pro 7, but from what i've been told im not going to have much luck operating on this laptop.

Is there any other program or software i can install that is much better than iMovie atleast? i know FCP7 was once the industry standard so i don't really expect my alternative choice to match up to FCP7.

2. Steve-F macrumors member

Hi, That Macbook Pro should be fine with FCP7. I've run FCP on a 2006 MacBook with no real issues. Obviously the more effects you add the slower or more rendering it will need to do, but for basic editing it will be OK.... in fact I even did some multi-cam editing on mine.
    You should however seriously think about getting an external drive that will connect via firewire for all your media, putting your media on the same drive as your application is not recommended.

Steve

3. daybreak macrumors 6502a

If you really take a look at iMovie it is not a bad editing software. O.K it want move mountains, but it does the job. Also FCP-X is very good and faster than FCP7.

4. ChrisA, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013

ChrisA macrumors G4

You notebook should be able to run FCP if you can upgrade the RAM. Get at least 4GB and really you'd be better off with 8GB if you can.

But what will really make the difference is SSD. The SSD will drop into the space where your internal drive is now.

If you are actually making money with this then buy a new computer. Video is so expensive to shoot when you consider the cost of the labor for camera operators, sound guy editor and talent and then all that equipment. Another $2K for a computer is not much more. The iMac is best for editing or if you need a notebook get the RETINA, for it's better graphics GPU and built-in SSD.

5. tripleseven1 thread starter macrumors newbie

haha i wish i could. maybe ill look for a job then consider upgrading my computer. Ill probabbly uses my current mac as my leisure computer, and a new macbook as my workhorse. But im fresh out of high school so i would consider my self PRE-amateur at best

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

OK, You said "side job" so I figured you were working some place then got this job pushed onto you.

In your case, stick with FCP7. I don't think FCP X works with your computer. If you have any cash then upgrade the computer you have. An SSD (flash) drive would be a very good upgrade as would maxing out the RAM

I'm not an expert with FCP7 as I'm using FCPX now but I think you can set up FCP7 to maybe use small size proxy files and it goes fast, after you wait for the proxy files to be made.

The best thing to do of course is READ about film making and photography. One "classic" technique is the in-camera movie. I did it in film class when we were still using real film. The only rule is NO CUTS. Th entire movie is shot in-camera. You plan it all out to fractional seconds in advance. Even b-roll cuts have to be shot in sequence. This method would teach you a lot and not require any software or computer upgrades. It is REALLY hard but when I was 16 yeas old I had to work 5 hours at minimum wage to pay for one 4 minute roll of movie film and processing. in camera contests were a level playing field. Try it. You don't even need a computer, plug the camera in to the TV set and press play. But it required hours of story board editing on paper. and many walk throughs.