Best video editing software for PPC?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iModFrenzy, Mar 16, 2015.

1. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

I am very happy that I got CS2 installed, doesn't seem like it includes Premier(or I am just missing something).So what would be a good alternative?:)

2. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

I am one of those people that has despised Adobe since Day 1. I've called it Adobe Crapware lots of times.

Honestly, the older versions of iMovie are quite robust for "consumer level" editing. It functions in the same way Final Cut Express functioned.

If you're wanting professional level software, then you have no choice but to go with Final Cut Pro. Seriously, though, give the older versions of iMovie a try. It isn't nearly as bad as its current incarnation.

3. NathanJHill macrumors member

NathanJHill

Asking which video editor is best really depends upon workflow and comfort level.

If you have a G5, the last version of iMovie HD was with the '09 iLife suite, and it's fine for basic projects. The older versions have their perks as well.

Final Cut Pro is great, and there were lots of folks who refused to upgrade for a while since it worked pretty well. If you can find an old copy of Final Cut Express, it was the sort of middle ground between iMovie and Final Cut.

Avid and Premiere are other options which have their strengths.

The good thing about PPC Macs is that, typically, these old versions of software can be had for cheap if you know where to look.

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I have always liked iMovie and Final Cut Express. I've never used Pro or anything from Adobe to be fair.

I say ditch the mac, trade it in for a P4 Windows XP box and fire up that Windows Movie Maker. :roll eyes:

(that was sarcasm)

5. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

From what i can find out Adobe Premier the version with CS2 anyways, only has a Windows version

----------

iMovie is what I use. One main downfall is the option to add text (Captions) during video clips

6. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

In your opinion, what's the best version of iMovie?

7. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I would go for iMovie 06 HD - the later versions present a very different way of working, counter intuitive I'd say but depends on what you've used before. Look up some Youtube clips to get a flavour.

8. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

A Few years back when i did broadcasting in high school, we used the last models Imac G5's and early Core 2 Duos imac with Final Cut Pro 6. At that time i had ilife 08 installed on my macbook and i liked final cut better the imovie.

Imovie was a LOT easier to use for beginners but once the teacher (i was in grade 12 so almost 3 years ago) showed me how to use it i enjoyed it a LOT better then imovie.

9. Cox Orange, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015

Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Has that always been like this? I remember my brother editing and putting text into a video he shot on a very early version of iMovie (probably even iMovie1).

@OP

Also iMovie from 8 onwards, does an interlasing during import, no mater, if you later need that or not. And I think it reduces to half the picture content and later doubles it again, during export. Not so sure about the last part, though, but sure on interlasing.

Also, when you export as a DV file from iMovie, the DV file that lies in the iMovie-project folder, will get a DVCpro file. So a conversion that is unecessary (probably with minor quality loss). Also, when you export to other file formats (mp4) iMovie is terribly slow compared to others.

If you edit more then just cut out crap scenes, you of course will have to keep iMovie for exporting the file to the desired end-file format. (Like making a divx.avi out of the DV file). Or you export it out of iMovie as a DV-stream (with the effects included), which will give you a DVCpro file and then load this into Handbrake for converting to another format (faster and newer codecs).

If you only cut out scenes and "glue" them together, I recommend using iMovie for import. Then open the projectfolder and open the DV file in mpegstreamclip (an app) and cut out crap, then export as "DV". Then open that with Handbrake (only possible in the last Handbrake version for 10.5 PPC) and convert it with ffmpeg or x.264.
    If you plan to convert to other file formats, of course you can use mpegstreamclip and free codecs (and also codecs that came with iMovie or eyeTV and other apps). For getting a DVD as a result (mpeg2 vob) try mpegstreamclip, iDVD and Toast and look what is best for you.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What do you mean?

11. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

you cannot put text over video with iMovie. Such as closed captions or use words on the video instead of Annotations on YouTube

12. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Sorry for interrupting, but another question, do you have any problems using Photoshop under 10.4.11? I once migrated Photoshop CS2 from my iMac G3 with 10.2.8, when my ibook was on 10.4-something, then somewhen it stopped working. I read that Photoshop CS2 (i.e. version 9) does only work till 10.4.6 or so. I even found an update for Photoshop that updates 9.0 to 9.0.2 or something. But I still can't use it.

13. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

*Ugh, so dirty, get it off, get it off!*

Making people use Windows Movie Maker, then iMovie and then Windows movie Maker again, might actually be one of the quickest ways of showing people of why a Mac is a much better user experience, come to think of it O.O

14. iModFrenzy thread starter macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

:p I can't stand WMM, especially with the new UI.

15. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Last time I used it was back on Vista. That experience did not leave me with fond memories.

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

In iMovie, you can place text over video clips using the text tool.

17. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

in iMovie 6?

18. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Yes.

Go to time line
    point your eyes in the right, lower corner and hit "edit" ("bearb." in the picture) and then choose "subtiles" ("Untertitel") from the list. :)

More details: google "imovie 6 subtitles". I point to google, since it seems to be a bit complicated, for instance there is a limited number of subtitles per clip. So, if you want more subtitles, you have to cut the clips in smaller pieces and put together during export.

iMovie 6.0.3
    and iMovie 5

Attached Files: