Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schwine2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
What video format is best when using the "dvd video from video-TS" option in Toast 7.0.2? My goal is to burn a video onto a dvd and then watch it on any tv.

So far, I've tried the .mpg and mpeg4 video formats. I find that the video quality with .mpg is poor with a jittery picture when watching it on tv via a dvd disk. The video itself plays fine on the computer, and the dvd-r disks that I use are of high quality. Comparatatively, Toast did not accept the mpeg4 format when dragging this video into the "dvd video from video-TS" window.

Thanks for any tips.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
If you want the disc to play in the widest array of stand-alone DVD players, you need to burn the VIDEO_TS folder to DVD using the UDF option in Toast.

Some players will play mp4 files from data discs, but there are a lot of encoding variables that might give players some problems. They should generally play fine on a computer, though.

schwine2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
The original video was obtained from the Internet in the flash .flv video format.

When I try to choose this online video (which is currently on my desktop in three different formats; .flv, .mpg, .mp4) using the "select" feature within the VIDEO_TS folder in Toast, all of these video formats are greyed out and not selectable.

I'm looking for a video format that the VIDEO_TS folder will not reject when selecting it.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
That's because you are trying to burn a playable DVD, which requires video encoded as mpeg-2 and in the proper VIDEO_TS format, out of a video file in mpeg-4 format. Toast is asking you to locate the VIDEO_TS folder, and you are trying to point it to an mp4 file instead.

If you want to burn a disc to play in a standalone player, they use iMovie and iDVD to transcode the file to a VIDEO_TS folder and burn it. You are going to lose picture quality, though, because you are transcoding it. If you just want to play the file using QuickTime, VLC, etc. on a computer, then just treat the file like any other file you save/burn to disc.

schwine2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
Thanks for the info. I burned a dvd of the online video using iMovie and iDVD, and this time the video quality was much better when watching the video on tv via the dvd disk.

I have noticed that iMovie didn't accept the original online video in the flash .flv format, so I have to convert it to mp4, for example, so iMovie will accept it and convert the mp4 to the iMovie format. After that, importing the iMovie file into iDVD for burning a dvd works well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.