Best video format for use on Jumbotron

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by fenian, Sep 24, 2009.

1. fenian macrumors newbie

Hello Out there, Does anyone know the best video format I should use in FCP5 and Compressor. I'm producing a video to be played on a Jumbotron. I have used MPEG2 but they say it looks washed out and want a better resolution ( maybe read broadcast safe or more contrast?) Thanks.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

First of all, you have to define JumboTron. Sony stopped making JumboTron-branded screens several years ago (exited the business) and now, the term "JumboTron" seems to be generically attached to any large-format outdoor screen (DakTronics, Barco, etc.) installed in a stadium or arena.

Actual Sony JumboTrons are pretty low-resolution displays and I believe they accept normal NTSC signals, in which case you would encode content to NTSC spec. and in a format that's compatible with the on-site equipment feeding the display.

Newer large-format displays often support HD resolutions (most often, 720p) over DVI and VGA connections. What you really need to do is find out from the venue what the screen and video equipment specifications are and go from there.