Best Video Player?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by finnschi, Feb 16, 2009.

?

What is the best Video Player for OSX?

1. VLC

26 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. Mplayer

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Quicktime

11 vote(s)
    22.4%
  4. Nice Player

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other(please tell me)

11 vote(s)
    22.4%
  1. finnschi macrumors 6502

I Tried many Video Players... but the best one i've ever used so far was "windows media player classic" (shame on me)

I never found any other media player to just PLAY Videos, fast and without 10 Hours loading time(like nice player...) I want to just watch videos FAST, I don't need more features than...

Playing all video formats (like VLC) , and a playlist... :D

what do you think is the best one for OSX?

2. Doju macrumors 68000

Definitely.

I don't know what you're on about, OP. VLC loads incredibly fast and has playlists..

3. bronconash macrumors newbie

4. zorahk macrumors 6502

I watch a lot of anime, and I think the best for subtitles is Quicktime with the Perian add on.

Close second is Mplayer OS X.

But VLC NEVER RENDERS SOFTSUBS RIGHT

5. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

I really dislike quicktime. I have never ever thought it was a very good player. Be it on Mac or Windows. Always thought it was slow and crappy.

VLC rules.

6. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

There is no "best" because practically all of them can play everything out there (QuickTime-based players need Perian of course).

QuickTime is basic but fast.
    NicePlayer has more features.
    RealPlayer can do streaming.
    VLC can play tonnes of formats (even incomplete files) and has the most features.
    MPlayer OSX Extended can also play a wide variety but is also the fastest player if set up right.
    Movist is getting to VLC/MPlayer level.

I have all these players installed because I regularly test them with subbed torrents that I download to see which one is the best. I use QuickTime mostly, NicePlayer to take good screenshots, RealPlayer for Real Media, VLC as a fall back, MPlayer for more demanding HD clips, and Movist I'm just testing.

I don't use VLC, MPlayer or Movist as my main player because they're packet-based. I like being able to skip to the next split second and pause on the spot, which they cannot do.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yeah, right. Try playing an m2ts Blu-ray rip with DTS-HD or True-HD audio using Quicktime, VLC or whatever. Unless you have an 8-core Mac, they'll choke. Only Plex (and XBMC) can do that.

8. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Quicktime with Perian is great, but I prefer VLC. :)

9. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

VLC doesn't decode H.264 as good as Quicktime; I noticed this the other day when I was watching an episode from "Planet Earth". For everything else though it's great.

10. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

Plex is very nice but it doesnt play with my mouse. Its all keyboard commands:(

11. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You must not have turned on the mouse functions. Out of the package it is run by the Apple remote - the mouse is unnecessary.

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

VLC should charge for their player because it's such a great player. I've never once had a problem getting it to play anything.

13. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

VLC is very good, better than Quicktime (which is junk), but it can't do it all. Here's my experience using it with high bit rate video. There is also a performance issue with VLC on my quad-core hackintosh with such files as well. 1080p can be troublesome for VLC.

14. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

ahhh must give it another go then:eek:

15. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

16. MAGICMOXTER macrumors regular

VLC doesn't have enough codecs for me, however it has more than most programs and its the best if you dont know how to add codec's to Quicktime. Personally i just use Quicktime.

17. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

I use Quicktime + Perian 90 % of the time. But when I wanna watch movies with subtitles... QT is just a PITA, so I use VLC

18. bronconash macrumors newbie

Just noticed today that Quicktime + Perian did not function properly for .MKV files, while VLC plays them w/o any hiccups :)

19. iJaz macrumors 6502a

iJaz

Another vote for Plex, it's awesome.
    No need to unpack files, plays everything you throw at it and all 1080p files I have tried have worked like a charm!
    Too bad it is for Intel machines only.
    VLC is good for SD material but can't handle 1080p very well.

20. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

VLC is a great player, it played everything. I like quicktime but it sometimes have some problems playing some videos.

21. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

One nobody mentioned that I like is a QuickTime derivative called BitPlayer (basically, it's an alternate front end to the QuickTime libraries).

22. EB66 macrumors 6502

i used to use quicktime with perian codecs but i have recently switched to vlc and it is night and day faster loading

im definitely a vlc fan

23. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Media Player Classic is the best, far better than VLC, with way way way more codecs, such as support for high definition .MKV files however its hard to find a Mac version.