Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Title says it all, I've seen videos of people playing things like Team Fortress 2 and the like on virtual windows machines in OSX. I'm also fed up with having to restart into Windows just to play a game. What are the trade offs? Will I get good preformance? Which virtualization software is the best?

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
...no you wont get good performance

i think virtual win is ok for specific game which is old or where fps is not important but its tru for serious games reboot is the only way.......people said that vmware fusion was bit faster in vista and xp was better for parallels....but they are both updating v fast with directx and so on so maybe there is no rule

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Title says it all, I've seen videos of people playing things like Team Fortress 2 and the like on virtual windows machines in OSX. I'm also fed up with having to restart into Windows just to play a game. What are the trade offs? Will I get good preformance? Which virtualization software is the best?

TF2 does not play well in VMWare or Parallels if at all. Even Beta 2 of VMWare it's not that great.

It does play 'ok' in Crossover but best performance is Bootcamp.

Siron

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
I've found that games that require a good GPU will not run well (if at all) in a virtual machine because of the virtual video card drivers. Stick with BC.
Alan

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Crossover Games (which isn't strictly virtualisation - it's a WINE implementation) is probably the fastest way to do it - all supposing your game is actually supported.

Otherwise, the gaming experience under VMWare or Parallels is pretty miserable unless the game is an elderly one (a lot won't run at all as DirectX support is limited - those that do are generally sloooooooow). Boot Camp is really the way to go here...

jsgrabo

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2007
^^^^ some games run great in crossover. Last night I played counter strike for a few hours with no problems. City of heroes runs pretty well too. but again, if your serious about gaming, go with bootcamp. crossover works but i want more. im backing up a few things and then im off to setup xp in bootcamp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.