Best virtualization software???

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Mr.MacJr, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Mr.MacJr macrumors newbie

To everyone that knows what they're talking about out there... I'm currently using a Macbook Pro Retina notebook. For my new job, there's programs that can only run on Windows that I need to use. I'm curious which is the best virtualization software currently out? I saw the recent article how the new Parallel Software is now Retina ready, is that the best way to go given my notebook situation?

Also, what are people's opinions on running Office for Mac compared to Office on Windows through Virtualization? I'm not too happy with Office for Mac so far, given the fact that it is yet to be updated for Retina display.

Any help will be much appreciated!

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Go with parallels, hold off on office for the time being, running in virtualization is a hassle.

3. bkar89 macrumors regular

bkar89

I guess Excel is the most used program? In my experience, Excel for Mac doesn't do things like Pivot tables very well, Numbers don't do them at all.

More advanced functions is a mess IMO.

At work we use Lenevos, so I only really use my mac for work if i'm at home, and the Lenevo laptop is at the office.

Parallels + Office 2010, unbeatable.

VMs have come far, especially for Macs. Like you i got the rMBP, theres no way I'm partitioning an SSD for Bootcamp, so i just store the VM on a WD Thunderbolt Duo.

The only downside is there might be some keyboard issues, but you meet those in bootcamp aswell (Shortcuts, missing keys etc.)

4. Mr.MacJr thread starter macrumors newbie

bkar...

bkar... so you use VM, and not parallels? does VM support retina display? which one is better?

also, you lost me when you were talking about where you store the software. I only have the 256SSD MBPr so obviously space is an issue. I've been good w/ my media, I have itunes match so no songs are stored on my notebook, and have 7GB's of pictures (all will be put in time capsule once i purchase it sometime in the next month).

How much space will the virtualization software take up... and what's the best way to go with storage?

This is my first Mac, have only used them sparingly over the years but felt it was time to change. While I have a good understanding of PC's, doing this kind of stuff with Mac's, and with limited storage is a whole other story. Any help will be appreciated, and if you can, elaborate and put things in terms a new Mac user would understand. Thanks!

5. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

If its just for Windows + Office, Virtualbox is free and will do the job.

6. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

VirtualBox, as noted above, is free and does the job, but it's not as nice, integrated and seamless as the paid solutions...

I've used VMWare virtualization solutions for over a decade, so for me Fusion was the natural choice and I don't regret it. Where I work we currently promote Parallels, so I've done my fair share of setup and configs of that as well, and it's very good, but I still prefer Fusion (which has also recently released a Retina/Windows 8/USB3 version)... Many pro reviews I've read favour Fusion as well.

As for Office, stick with the Mac native version! Who wants to open your VM just to open an email attachment!

7. Mr.MacJr thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll definitely do my fair share of research on both, seems like you cant go wrong either way though.

Storage wise though, whats the way to go? (keeping in mind 256SSD)

----------

and is there a known best windows version to run on virtualization programs?

8. tdar macrumors 6502a

I built a Windows 8 Enterprise VM today (with office 2013) using the just released Parallels 8. I've used both Parallels and VMware Fusion in the past and was not that impressed. I have to say that Parallels 8 is what I was looking for. I was surprised to see how well they have supported Win8 on the Mac. For those that want a VM environment, I'd give V 8 a try.

9. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

I used to use my VM everyday, and kept it local on my 256GB SSD (Crucial m4 in a 2011 MBP). I'm not using my VM so much anymore (less than weekly) and have moved to a 256GB MBA 2012 and have moved the VM to a USB3 2.5" external (freeing up local room). In your scenario, where you need it regular for work, I'd keep the VM local.

10. bkar89 macrumors regular

bkar89

VM, just short for Virtual Machine. For that I use Parallels 8.

Just for Office, you don't need Parallels, VirtualBox is just fine, and free!

It's hard to estimate the needed space, mine has alot of games on it as well. Office would be a couple of gigabytes, so would windows and that will need a page file and so on... anything between 10 and 20gb

Oh! and... if space becomes an issue down the line OWC is offering a 480gb SSD for the retina macbook pro!

11. MACza macrumors member

Go for Virtualbox!

Stay away from any of the paid virtualization solutions if you can!

I got burnt by Parallels 6 and will not support Parallels ever again.

P6 stopped working after upgrading from Lion to Mountain Lion. The solution from Parallels? Pay $50 for Parallels 7.

If you feel like paying $50 to Parallels every time Apple releases a new version of OSX, go for it. I have decided to stop the madness and is happily running Virtualbox.

Parallels can suck it :D