Best virus & internet security packages please

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by supermoto1962, Nov 13, 2009.

1. supermoto1962 macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro running OS X V10.5.8
    Used both with and without AirPort

Hi
    Could someone please suggest the best software to protect my Mac from unwanted downloads, scanning and general Internet vermin?

I'm sure my Mac is starting to run slower, taking longer to load apps' and taking longer than usual to connect to the Internet.

Initially i would like to run some software to clean the system and then load up some protection.

Any idea's and tips?
    Regards

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Many will tell you that you dont...nvm.

Intego is what I use.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Try the "your brain" package- I hear that one is very good. Well, sometimes it depends.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't use one on my mac. Given the fact that there are no viruses for the Mac and I practice safe computing, not downloading a lot of crap.

The only advice I can give you is avoid Norton, as its down right awful for the mac.

5. supermoto1962 thread starter macrumors newbie

Why reply if you have nothing to contribute? Pointless.

6. splitpea macrumors 6502a

How full is your hard drive? On OS X, this is at least as likely to be the cause as malware is.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's not pointless at all. The ignorant fail to realize that viruses (especially on Macs) aren't the biggest problem these days, it's phishing. No antivirus or antimalware package is going to protect you when you click on a link in an email that takes you to a phishing site.

I know it's hard to do, but "thinking for yourself" is one of your best defenses.

8. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Had he given the bit in his second post initially it would have been more helpful, but how else could you become a demi-god on this forum if you didn't post B.S. most of the time...Oh yeah, posting only when you actually have something useful to say.

There are several AV out there for Mac, I like Intego, I've also used ClamXav, and a couple of others, but for the most part, try them, and if you like it...use it.

9. Buzz Bumble Guest

There's only two things antivirus / "security" software on a Mac is useful for:
    • telling your Windows using friends that the file they just sent you has a virus,
    • (slightly) slowing down your computer's performance and wasting some hard drive space.
    It is completely unnecessary.

If you really want to run such software for the first reason above, then steer well clear of Norton ... not only is it hopless, but it's an expensive con having to pay annual fees.

10. supermoto1962 thread starter macrumors newbie

For the positive's so far - thanks

Thank you for those with the positive posts to date.

A. I do not click on links from emails sent to me, legit or otherwise.
    B. Do not download crap
    C. 50gb left of hdd

If someone with little knowledge stepped into my field of 'expertise' i would choose to be helpful, or keep my conceit to myself. It's simple and it's polite in the real world, but some choose not to follow such niceties when hidden behind a keyboard. This isn't life or death guys, just computing.

11. joek84 macrumors newbie

12. LinMac macrumors 65816

There is really no need to have a resident antivirus on a Mac. The operating system is UNIX based which makes the system more robust.

It isn't quite up there with FreeBSD or Linux with SELinux/Apparmor, but it is pretty solid.

You can enhance your security by doing the following:

1) Turn on the OS X firewall.

System Preferences -> Security -> Firewall

2) Upgrade to Snow Leopard.

There were several security enhancements made to snow Leopard which can help keep your system secure.

3) Try Little Snitch. It is essentially an egress (outgoing) firewall.

4) Use Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner to scan for viruses in your home folder using ClamAV. This won't help much with a Mac (there are no viruses for a Mac), but it can help keep you from spreading Windows viruses.

Other than that it is down to you to keep from downloading anything questionable. If you've got that part down then you should be good to go.

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Maybe I was a little harsh, but in my line of work computer security actually can be a matter of life or death.