Best VMWare Config for 1.7GHz i7 Air w/ 8GB RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amphibious, Nov 24, 2014.

1. amphibious macrumors member

I'm running VMWare Fusion on Early 2014 MacBook Air with a 1.7GHz Intel Core i7 processor and 8GB RAM, VMWare is running Windows 7 on the default configuration of 1 core and 2GB RAM.

When it starts up, the fan goes totally insane, running at either full power or nearly full power the entire time. I am never doing anything particularly intensive, just running some low end apps. But the fan will run at full power while Windows is just sitting on the desktop with no applications open.

Are there any config options that will help it not freak out so much?

2. mac8867 macrumors 6502

A couple things....

1. Windows needs more ram, try giving it 4GB. This might alleviate some page swapping, which would result in more read/write to your SSD drive (thus heat)

2. For your VM, in Settings -> Compatibility, click the Advanced Options arrow to expand, and make sure you are running the latest Hardware Version

3. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

I run 32bit Win7 with 1 core and 2GB RAM. if I were using 64bit Windows, I would definitely give it 4GB.

The only time my fans come on is when a virus scan is running on the vm.

You could also have background processes in addition to virus scan that windows specifically kicks off when you aren't using it - Windows updates and indexing come to mind.

Make sure that the vmware tools installed not he vm are up to date. You might also have a driver issue if you have any devices connected to the vm - I have a usb security card reader that used to occasionally flip out and cause the cpu fans to spin up. Generally had to restart the windows vm to fix that.

4. mac8867 macrumors 6502

Even with 32 bit, give it the max supported of 3.5 GB.