Best VmWare Settings for rMBP. How many cores/ram do you assign?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ducatiti, Jul 22, 2012.

1. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

As per subject line, what settings do you guys use? I have the base rMBP and configured VmWare to point at the Boot Camp installation of Win 7 Professional.

Is it effective to set it @ 4 cores?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcpb macrumors 6502a

I set mine to 2 cores, 4GB RAM, what my old desktop was specced at.

3. proximo macrumors member

In my experience, setting a VM to use more than one virtual core usually makes the VM run slower than setting it to use only one. The reason is to dispatch the VM, the host OS would need to find that many real cores free at the same time which can be much less likely than finding a single core free. It all depends on how busy your cores are.

4. ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for your answers. Another question, I have VmWare 3.1.4 ATM.

What resolution setting do you guys use? I have no plans to upgrade to 4.

5. dsciel macrumors regular

i am using the base model, and using VMWARE with XP. Resolution set to be 1600x1200 and it looks great. Only gave it 1gb ram and one core.

----------

strongly suggest you to upgrade to 4, forgot what are the improvements, but it is optimized for Lion and 64 bit system.

6. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

I can confirm this as well. I manage 12,000 VMware view. If your os or application do not support multi core, you will actually slow down your entire machine.

7. mac jones macrumors 68040

I've always wondered why the recommended resource values in those dialog boxes were ridiculously low. Maybe they changed it, but it used to be like 1G for Windows, which ain't gonna cut it.

8. Slivortal macrumors 6502

I thought OSX doesn't allow processor affinity? Or is this a VMWare-only feature? Is there any way to do this on say VirtualBox?