Best VOIP App??

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by orlandocano, May 17, 2010.

1. orlandocano macrumors regular

I am trying to find a good VOIP application. I am not interested in something like skype where they charge you to call phone numbers.

I looked at whistle and liked what they have to offer but the pre-recorded ads before each call will for sure become a pain in the a$$!!!

Mainly this is what I am looking for. A voip app that lets you make unlimited calls to any numbers in the US. Also, an app that gives you your own number so others can call your Ipad. Last thing is, I travel alot so when I am out of the country, I want to be able to call and receive calls from any number in the US no matter where I am.

Does something like this exist? I have been googling this and Whistle seems to be my best choice... Would love some feedback from those already using VOIP on ipad.

2. glitch44 macrumors 65816

For free? No. You either pay for the service with money or pay by listening to ads. If you can afford a $450-800 iPad, you should be able to afford some skype credit.

3. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

Calling other people using VOIP? Yeah, that can be done for free. But you really expect to be able to call landlines for free and with no ads? How would the company support their service?

You obviously don't like the idea of paying for the service, so go with that one with the ads before the calls.

4. smotheredhope macrumors regular

What is wrong with people these days? I mean seriously. Its a 10 second add and then you get to make an unlimited free call. Good lord.

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

The ads on Whistle are so short they're no PITA and well worth the free calling to mobile and landline. Try it - you can't beat the price.

6. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

If you want free you cannot beat whistle, I tried all the other sip clients in the store. The ads are so super short, and that's only on outgoing calls. I'm hoping they add a paid non ad version, but I don't mind if they don't.

7. orlandocano thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe i didnt express what i meant correctly... I am willing to pay $10 - $20 for the application. By free i meant "no monthly recurring charge"... i have spend over $200 on apps, so I am not cheap by any means.. I am willing to pay developers for their hard work, and would never jailbreak just to get apps for free!!

whistle is the perfect example.. i would pay $20 for whistle if it would eliminate the ads for good... i love the app! and i am willing to pay the developer good money in order to enhance the experience!!!

8. glitch44 macrumors 65816

So you're willing to pay $10 or $20 ONCE and want unlimited calling FOREVER to landlines? Carefully think through why this doesn't exist as a viable business model.

9. orlandocano thread starter macrumors regular

i asked if an app like that existed.. i did not ask for the reasons why it doesnt...

and hows this for a business model:

whistle remains exactly the same!! free calls to landlines FOREVER.. just like it is now...!! FOREVER!!...

but gives the option to people like me who dont like ads (and i am sure there will be too few of us to even make a dent in their advertising dollars) to pay them $20 to get rid of ads... they could even keep the banner ads and just remove the 10 second spoken ads at the beginning of each call...

now tell me.. why wouldnt that work???? Carefully think about how this business model is probably just as viable as what whistle does now!!!!

jeeezus!!!! i dont understand why so many people on internet message boards feel like a smart a$$ answer is required all the time!

10. glitch44 macrumors 65816

I'm not being a smart ass. I'm trying to help you think critically because what you're saying isn't very well thought out.

Let's see... each call to connect from a VOIP portal to a PSTN (landline) costs money. So you're willing to pay $20 to make an unlimited number of calls that cost the company money-- but once you reach $20 of calls made, the more calls you make and longer you talk the more money the company will lose. Does this seem like a good business model to you? When you go to the supermarket, tell them you'll pay $100 so you can eat all the food you want for the rest of your life and watch as they laugh in your face.

The Whistle model involves you listening to an ad for each call because the more calls you make, the more ads you'll listen to, and, in theory, the more products you'll buy from that advertiser.

In any case, no this app does not exist. You have your answer.

11. toomer macrumors newbie

Agreed, OP has some whack expectations. Don't forget, he wanted a DID inbound # for free as well, no cost.

Go buy yourself a MagicJack, OP.

(using Toktumi Line2 for business for over a month now, and happy to pay them per month for quality service/app)

12. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

Do you think there's a possibility that the ad revenue the app creators receive would be greater than $10-20 over the lifetime of your ownership of the app?

13. The General macrumors 601

or just get a real phone with a real phone number and call people like a real person. no one likes getting phone calls from voip users. i dont even answer them.

14. liavman macrumors 6502

There is now an option in Whistle to pay for not listening to the ads.

15. vw195 macrumors 6502

Use googlevoice/gizmo5/nimbuzz for free calling. No ads, no cost, well the gizmo5 account will cost on ebay about $10. You get a free inbound number, can dial out for free, etc. Use nimbuzz or fring as your local sip client and you are golden.

16. glitch44 macrumors 65816

"To turn off ads and experience ad free Whistle service, just add to your Whistle balance"

17. orlandocano thread starter macrumors regular

I guess its a good thing that I am not calling you. I am calling my family and girlfriend when I am outside of the US so I dont have to pay ridiculous international rates

And about getting a phone like a 'real person'... I have 2 cellphones (work and personal) and a landline, dude.. all on unlimited plans.. but will never understand a person's need to be a smart a$$ or desire to make others feel dumb on internet message boards.. I wonder if this is how some of you guys react in real life when someone asks you a question..

18. orlandocano thread starter macrumors regular

^^^ THIS is what I was asking for. Thanks for post above!

Just because most of you guys did not know this service existed doesnt mean you had to be outraged that I was even asking about it! Obviosly its a good business model for someone because it does exist!

And this was the purpose of my OP.. I was hoping that if this service did exist, someone out there would know about it.. haha, i dont see how such an innocent question turned this thread into "lets bash the OP"..

19. vw195 macrumors 6502

Heh, Glad I could help. I was somewhat bemused by all the bashing as well, especially incorrect bashing. I have a GoogleVoice invite I can send you if you like. Just PM me your email.You can also tryout Sipgate.com in conjunction with google voice, as opposed to gizmo5. Its free. Sipgate doesnt charge for inbound calls either so you use google voice to initiate all calls. Just give people your GV # as opposed to your gizmo5/sipgate #. When I was playing with them, I found gizmo5 worked better so I paid for an account off ebay since signups are closed.

The cool thing about this solution is that you can run a sip client on your desktop/laptop as well and can call out or receive calls from there using the same number.

20. orlandocano thread starter macrumors regular

AWESOME!!!!!! i pm'ed you my email address.. thanks!!!

21. vw195 macrumors 6502

Oh I guess one more thing I should mention about this is that none of the sip clients's (fring and nimbuzz) push notifications work right with the ipad right now, so to insure you can get and receive calls you have to jb your ipad and install backgrounder so you can multitask. Sorry I left that out, before, but I know nimbuzz is working on the oush notifications for the ipad now.