Best VPN service for Airport Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Notario, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Notario macrumors newbie

Can anyone recommend a VPN that works easily with the Airport Time Capsule (i.e., a plug-and-play solution that does not require the user to configure).

StrongVPN, for example, is a popular VPN service that fails to support the Airport Time Capsule.

2. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

uhm... the TC does not have the ability to connect to a VPN... (like some other routers do) if the TC is your router, you need to connect to the VPN service on each individual computer that you use/want vpn for!

Check out TorGuard... good speeds AFAIK

3. Notario thread starter macrumors newbie

VPN & Airport Extreme Time Capsule - A "Bad Apple"

Thank you for that information.

I'm afraid that this is just one of many disappointing aspects of the Airport Extreme Time Capsule, the first "bad Apple" product I've encountered.

Considering the difficulty of using the Airport Extreme Time Capsule and the associated software, and shortcomings like the inability to use it with a VPN (unlike other routers on the market, all of them less expensive), I would n-o-t recommend it.

Apple should overhaul the firmware for a truly plug-and-play approach for everyday consumers, and make it usable with a VPN.

4. asriznet macrumors regular

Actually it's been like this since the first generation of Airport base stations.

To me, Apple focus more on the performance and simplicity.

With that, it's great for basic users who don't need to know much about technical stuffs but yet able to get the best of their internet.

What you can do is purchase another router and just use that for VPN.
    This gives you the option to choose whether the client device needs VPN or not. Sometimes you probably just want a fast internet connection with no VPN, Time Capsule will do that job.

But if you're not keen on that, see if you can request for a refund and get another router that includes advanced setup.

I personally am using the Asus RT-AC66U router flashed with merlin firmware and it works well with VPN setup, even tested it with a StrongVPN account for 1 of my clients.

5. Notario thread starter macrumors newbie

- Thank you for suggesting use of a second non-Apple router for VPN use. (Too late to get a refund on the TC. And I want to use the Time Capsule as an all-in-one solution (as advertised) for three purposes:

1) Internet access via wifi, for which I need a VPN all the time, from various devices like iPad, iPhone, MacBook Air and PC.

2) MacBook Air access to the TC via wifi, to access large files like movies and music stored on the TC hard disk (3 terabytes)

3) Access to other networked devices, such as an additional external hard disk used as network storage (the TC's 3 terabytes was not enough)

If I use a second router, then wouldn't I need to constantly switch from one wifi network to the other depending on whether I want access to internet or access to networked storage on the TC and other hard disk?

A second router doesn't seem so convenient, as opposed to the all-in-one solution I had hoped to get from the TC.

And isn't it true that two wifi networks running side by side will interfere with each other somewhat, degrading performance?

Any further thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

6. brentsg macrumors 68040

VPN issue aside, I've never seen a device that's more plug and play for an everyday user.

7. asriznet macrumors regular

The concern I have about VPN is that it will not give me the most optimum internet speed hence the suggestion of using an access point act as a VPN router.

What I did for my client is:
    - Setup Airport Extreme as the Main router serving DHCP + NAT.
    - Connect the LAN port of Airport Extreme to the WAN port of an Asus RT-AC66U router
    - Asus router needs to be flashed to Merlin build as the stock firmware have issues with MPPE encryption.
    - Asus router is configured to as Bridge mode + create it's own SSID.
    - configured PPTP VPN account on the Asus router.

The only challenge was we need to find out what is the IP address assigned to the Asus router to load the Asus router GUI in case we need to.

As long as both wifi are not set as a same static channel, signal interference is not an issue.

Technically you are in a single network when you are connected to either SSID because the Asus router is configured as bridge mode while the Airport Extreme is the main router serving DHCP + NAT.

Since you want VPN for all client all the time, you are better off selling the Time Capsule away and get one of those other routers that supports VPN.

And also the Asus RT-AC66U supports USB storage if you want a network storage option.