Best VPN software

paieye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
I am obliged to make regular use of open, unsecured networks. I have recently become aware of the danger of identity-theft, and have been advised to install VPN-software. I have been trying the well-recommended Spot Plus, but there is endless difficulty with getting it to connect, and the help-desk there is not prompt.

Can anyone suggest such an application that will work well with OSX ?

paieye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Thank you for this prompt reply ! Can you just tell me, please, is there an effective help-desk ? I notice that their website says nothing about that, save that there is "professional" support.

Last edited:

v04bvs

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
I'm using Viscosity with my OpenVPN server. TunnelBlick is fine too, it's free, but Viscosity is more polished.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Thank you, I shall try them.
I use PIA and I've needed help on 2-3 occasions and each time I got a response within a couple, three hours, and faster once they reply to you the first time and you reply back. The service is very solid. I use it to watch NFL games and the stream is always excellent.

musique

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
I’ve read that many of these VPN services can and do have “leaks” that can be exploited by a party who is serious about breaking into a user’s VPN connection.

Over the years I’ve used several of the VPN companies (Nord, Witopia, et al.) when I’ve been on public WiFi networks. And I was mostly satisfied with their service and support. But after this little bit of research on the security of these services, I always had an uneasy feeling when using one. Maybe I’m just being paranoid.

I’m not a security engineer so I’d like to hear what others who may have knowledge about this think.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
For maximum privacy, Mullvad (mullvad.net) has a good reputation. I don't use it often, but I've not had any problems with it when I do use it.

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
A word of caution (may be due to my own inexperience), but the VPNs I have tried always interfere with Apple's cloud apps. iMessage, in particular, won't sync messages between devices when I have a VPN turned on.

paieye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
I have used it for only a couple of days, but I must say that it does seem excellent -- it connects rapidly, and once connected is completely unintrusive.

Sirolway

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
London
I've used Cloak in the past & their support is pretty responsive. But I've been having trouble with it recently, so I've switched to GhostVPN, who had a good Black Friday deal on (might still have - worth checking). We'll see how I go with them ...

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Yes, PIA
[doublepost=1480403195][/doublepost]
I used to use Opera enthusiastically, but my sight is not as good as it was, so I now use Chrome, as it renders the menu-bar and other text in white letters on a black background, making it much easier for me to read.
Pia's reputation is top notch even though it's paid service. I had doubts at first but it worked.