Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
I am interested in a watch that will provide the most health monitoring features possible and I read that the new Apple Watches have removed some of the health monitoring features because of some legal conflicts. I am in the UK, so I’m not sure if that applies to this country.
i have an iPhone and am really only interested in the potential for health monitoring from a watch and other features are not important to me.
Can anyone suggest what brand and model of watch might suit me best?

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I am interested in a watch that will provide the most health monitoring features possible and I read that the new Apple Watches have removed some of the health monitoring features because of some legal conflicts. I am in the UK, so I’m not sure if that applies to this country.
i have an iPhone and am really only interested in the potential for health monitoring from a watch and other features are not important to me.
The only feature removed from the US sold watches is blood oxygen monitoring. In the UK current models have the full complement of health features.

If you really only want a watch for health reasons and nothing else there are non Apple Watches which may do this better. I have no personal experience of this one for example, which includes blood pressure, which Apple Watches don't have.

The reason Apple Watches (and also Withings who are a market leader in health wearables) don't have blood pressure maybe because the common advice is that arm cuff measurement of BP is much more accurate than wrist measurement. I record my blood pressure with a Withings BPM connect arm cuff device which automatically sends measurements to my phone and they appear in the Heath app.

As I said I only have experience of Apple Watches, and heart monitoring is my main use. My Apple Watch was responsible for my initial diagnosis of Atrial Fibrillation and when I have an episode it always sends me an alert, which is not really needed as I know full well when it happens, but not everyone does. You can run an ECG manually anytime to confirm.

Sleep monitoring is a bit flaky in my experience. Having tried some third party apps I have gone back to Apples own built in method which is broadly accurate and correctly picks up trends.

I use Apples own activity monitoring tools but there are host of third party options, as there are for heart monitoring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luis Ortega

BSG75

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2015
Tennessee
The blood oxygen feature was only disabled in the US, so you should be fine in the UK. Since you're on an iPhone, I would suggest starting with an Apple Watch and see if it fits your needs. It will be the most seamless integration and should be the most intuitive out of the box.

Withings watches are another good option as are Garmin. However, you do sacrifice some features, such as responding to texts, answering phone calls, etc., that automatically work on the AW.

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
That Huawei smartwatch Mike Boreham linked in his post works using a watch band that inflates like the cuff on traditional wrist blood pressure monitor. Apple is supposedly working on blood pressure monitoring technology for a future watch using near infrared spectroscopy that works without needing to squeeze your wrist, though it may only be accurate enough to warn of elevated blood pressure as opposed to giving specific systolic/diastolic readings.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
The blood oxygen feature was only disabled in the US, so you should be fine in the UK. Since you're on an iPhone, I would suggest starting with an Apple Watch and see if it fits your needs. It will be the most seamless integration and should be the most intuitive out of the box.

Withings watches are another good option as are Garmin. However, you do sacrifice some features, such as responding to texts, answering phone calls, etc., that automatically work on the AW.
Thanks. I don’t really care about the text and phone features, just the most comprehensive health monitoring features.
Can you suggest which Apple Watch would be best for that, or which other brands I might look at?

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Thanks. I don’t really care about the text and phone features, just the most comprehensive health monitoring features.
Can you suggest which Apple Watch would be best for that, or which other brands I might look at?

Of the current models only the AW 9 and Ultra 2 do all health monitoring. The SE doesn't. See here.

For older models which you may find around new or second hand or from Apple certified Refurb store, you need AW6 or later. Click on "See all models" in the first link for detail. Later models will generally have refinements such as screen size, speed, battery life, brightness etc

Apple refurbs are a good way to get Apple products. Full warranty and IME as good as new.

EDIT Just noticed that the Temperature sensor was added in AW8 and first gen Ultra.

Last edited:

Psdn

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2021
look this guy up on YT - a scientist that knows a bit about the best watches https://youtube.com/@thequantifiedscientist?si=uYby3dc6Fl89oPvo

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
look this guy up on YT - a scientist that knows a bit about the best watches https://youtube.com/@thequantifiedscientist?si=uYby3dc6Fl89oPvo
Thanks. I noticed that Apple Watches came out fairly high on his various charts.
Are there any differences in health monitoring features between the series 8 and 9? I saw some refurbished 8s and 9s on the Apple Store that aren’t that different in price except for the smaller screen.
My only interest is the health monitoring features and would probably only use the watch information on my phone through an app, so the screen size seems irrelevant.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I’d go for an Ultra 1 or 2 with blood oxygen support. Mostly because of battery life. I usually just charge mine up while I’m in the shower and never have to worry about battery life.

Reactions: Howard2k

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The ultras are out of my price range.
If you're not interested in the 'fashion' aspect and stainless steel or titanium cases and such, then find the cheapest Series 8 or Series 9 you can find. I'd look at the aluminum case models. And likely you won't need the cellular option, either.

Processor speed is the main difference between the Series 8 and Series 9. I think the Series 9 also have somewhat brighter screens, but sounds like those are features you don't care about. The health tracking I think are the same between Series 8 & 9.

Or look at a FitBit band. Those will track heart rate, activity (caloric burn), and blood oxygenation (I believe) and will last longer on battery than an Apple Watch and will likely be cheaper, too. You won't get the other functionalities the Apple Watch provides like notifications, calendar sync, different workout apps, music, etc., but sounds like you're not interested in any of that. I don't know if the FitBits will sync with Apple Health, but you're the one who has to determine if that's a priority for you, or if keeping your data in the FitBit app is sufficient for you.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
If you're not interested in the 'fashion' aspect and stainless steel or titanium cases and such, then find the cheapest Series 8 or Series 9 you can find. I'd look at the aluminum case models. And likely you won't need the cellular option, either.
Processor speed is the main difference between the Series 8 and Series 9. I think the Series 9 also have somewhat brighter screens, but sounds like those are features you don't care about. The health tracking I think are the same between Series 8 & 9.
Thanks. I can only find refurbished series 8 and also refurbished series 9 with the smaller screen for almost the same price. Will the 9 be more future proof in terms of support? I don’t plan to be upgrading it and would like it to remain useful as long as possible.
when will new models be coming out?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Thanks. I can only find refurbished series 8 and also refurbished series 9 with the smaller screen for almost the same price. Will the 9 be more future proof in terms of support? I don’t plan to be upgrading it and would like it to remain useful as long as possible.
when will new models be coming out?
It's anyone's guess when new models are coming out. But, in the past, Apple has refreshed the Watch line in the fall (September/October), I believe. So unless things change this year, and they very well might, then a refresh might come in the fall.

I'd imagine the Series 8 and 9 will be supported equally as long, but I'd always recommend going with the newer model if I could swing it, price-wise.

Screen size is of course personal preference, but I prefer the 45mm (or 49mm Ultra) over the 41mm. I find it easier to interact with (text and buttons are a bit larger) and the battery life is generally a little better as well. My wife has a 41mm and she's more than happy with it.

My wife mainly uses hers to track her fitness/workouts/calories, but enjoys being able to read & respond to text messages without having to track down her phone. She doesn't use it for any third party apps and such.

I, on the other hand, use mine for everything -- tracking fitness/workouts, notifications, calendar & next coming appointments, messaging, work & personal email, controlling the AppleTVs, controlling smart home devices, remote control of my vehicles (Tesla and Volvo)... you name it. I consider myself a watch power-user and I'm really enjoying the Ultra 2.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I've been nothing but satisfied with Apple's refurbished products when I've bought them. Good luck with the new watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.