Best waterproof case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iiPwn, Nov 12, 2013.

1. iiPwn, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013

iiPwn macrumors member

Hello.
    I'm going to work at a ski resort during the coming winter and I want my iPhone to have good peotection.
    So waterproof and shockproof and all the other features can come in hand.
    I just bought the Lifeproof Fre today but it seems like this might not be the best option. Now I have also seen the Otterbox Armor series.
    Do you have any recommendations on a case that really is lifeproof and what is the best case of this kind?
    Thanks in advance.
    iiPwn

Edit: iPhone 5 is the phone I have.

2. Robster3 macrumors 68000

At the moment it looks like there is only the new life proof and the Griffin catalyst that is compatible with the 5S, especially the camera. The OB preserver shouldn't be too far away.
    I need one for a surf trip in 4 weeks. Will wait to see if the preserver is any good if not will have to go with the Griffin. Its $35 cheaper than what the OB will be.

OK see you have iPhone 5 OP, the OB preserver is out for 5. The Griffin Catalyst is thinner and suits 5/5S according to their website.

3. iiPwn thread starter macrumors member

What if I want to protect the screen? Cutting out a screen guard or how do you do?

----------

Thanks, I will look on these cases!

4. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

The Nuud comes with a special screen protector...use only that one, and not another.

The Nuud and Fre both work for the 5. Note that if you upgrade to the 5S...the Nuud doesn't work for it. The new fingerprint sensor probably is the reason (i.e. it is not a waterproof seal).

I have the Fre. Works fine for outside use. I remove it for other situations.

5. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

6. iiPwn, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

iiPwn thread starter macrumors member

It seems like the Otterbox Armor is a really nice case. The only thing that bothers me is that it wont stay waterproof while using the "aux" port. So I guess a bluetooth receiver could solve that.
    How much battery whould using a bluetooth headset for lets say 5hrs take?
    Seems like the only one with a headset solution is the lifeproof?

7. Robster3 macrumors 68000

The Griffin catalyst has a headphone adapter that will work with water proof head phones. I will have one tomorrow, i was going to wait for the new OB preserver but they will be around the $100 here compared to $60 for the Griffin. They are way thinner/lighter too.

good review here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1At6k457f-g

8. iiPwn thread starter macrumors member

Seems very good aswell.
    Yea I saw that video.

I'm getting a case to have it on me while I'm skiing as I mentioned. How do you think it will survive a drop from 2 meters and me landing on it? Haha, it feels like the best case might be the Otterbox armor but, I want the waterproof aux port. So maybe I'll have to go with one of the ways, fully waterproof or fully crashproof.

9. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I would get the preserver over the armour, its newer and looks smaller.

http://www.otterbox.com/preserver-series/preserver-series,default,pg.html

Tells you about the shock drop on the Griffin here.

http://griffintechnology.com/survivor/waterproof

10. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Don't get a Griffin catalyst, mine arrived today, home button won't work, charge port won't open without force. Sending back.

Feels very cheap too. Thought they would of been better.

Will wait for OB preserver or new life proof.

11. Puff daddy macrumors newbie

Got the preserver yesterday and it's so good that my lifeproof taking a backseat for a while!
    Does everything my lifeproof did but better. Worth the extra money