Best way/app? Animation like this

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by matteusclement, May 11, 2012.

1. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

2. WRP macrumors 6502a

Yes, AE can do everything in that video. But, there is a lot of technique in that video that I doubt a newb could accomplish in anything short of a hell-of-a-lot-of-time. :)

3. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

What WRP said. But even if you have the program, it requires lots of experience with it, and the design sense. Like, I've used After Effects for years and I feel quite comfortable with it, but I don't know that I have the ideas and the eye to pull something off that slick. ;)

4. cgbier macrumors 6502a

That can also be done in Motion for a much lower price.

Takes a bit learning and practice though.

5. floh macrumors 6502

I have very little experience in After Effects, but from what I've tried, I found that text animations are actually easier in Motion.

Both programs can do it though (After Effects is way more powerful in simulation and composition, but text animation is not that much more advanced), and I would stick to the software you are more familiar with.
    If you are not familiar with any, I would recommend Motion since it has not as steep a learning curve. But having seen your latest short, I assume that you are used to a lot of effects driven stuff, most likely done in AE...

If you are looking for tutorials, there are many out there, and you will want to google the words "kinetic typography" for a start...

6. WRP macrumors 6502a

Text is easier if you want one of Motions precooked templates. But AE has those too if you want to go through bridge. And if you are working in FCP and want to send to motion for a quick title, sure! Motion could not do everything in that video easily though. Using 2 apps instead of one isn't very smart advice. That could all be done easily inside of AE if you have the skill, nothing else needed except for a quick VO cut for pacing purposes.

And After Effects is industry standard. If the OP wants to get into any motion graphics they may as well learn industry standard instead of Motion which I call Fisher-Price, my-first-compositing-application.

7. floh macrumors 6502

I know. But Fisher-Price is very nice if you want to do this once and not actually get deep into building block science. Sure, you can do more with Lego, but it takes more time and effort to learn. And you have to be twice as old. ;)

In all seriousness though: That's what I suggested: If you know nothing about animation software and don't want to get into it in the future, Motion is still an option (not just the presets, but you can also animate stuff pretty easily). If you want to go further into that direction and learn more pro stuff, there is nothing like After Effects.

For me, the choice was easy, since I don't have the money for AE as a hobbyist. But I work for a university and am throwing many a longing look into the direction of the academically priced Production Suite CS6... I'm sure I can't contain myself too long and it'll be mine before the end of the summer. :)

8. WhyMack macrumors newbie

Just for fun (NSFW) check out this 200-hour example...

There is an entire Vimeo channel devoted to the practice of what is called, "Kinetic Typography!"

Here is an excellent; however, raunchy (x-rated) and tongue-in-cheek example of this art and craft:

http://vimeo.com/32284167 200 hours!

(...sorry about the rough language and objectifying culture of the rap music portion; the Michael Bolton portion conquers the evil side of the song!)

9. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

good lord. That is way above what I was looking for. I will have a look at the vimeo channel.

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

glad I wasn't on that assignment ;)

:eek:

11. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

12. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

I would have given him a C at best. I understand the enthusiasm behind it, but he seems to have forgotten that spectators have to watch this. Using every font in your system folder is not good design.

13. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

TIME to do this project?

Am I crazy in assuming that a project like the oringinal one I posted would take one person 40-60 hours?

14. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I'd love to learn how to do something like that.

I'm also wondering where you might find similar music that would work for that. (Assuming you didn't make it yourself obviously)

15. WRP macrumors 6502a

I could do it in that time but if you have never used after effects I certainly doubt you could do it in twice that time.

16. Magrathea macrumors regular

Use AE and google Kinetic Text, that's the name for this type of stuff. You can even get a template out there, pretty easy to do once you know how.

You could use the new version of Motion but I use AE to do something similar.

17. WRP macrumors 6502a

There's a lot more going on in that video than moving text.

18. alph45 macrumors member

have to agree with WRP. It isn't just about animating text although that's obviously a baseline requirement. More than likely that entire piece was art directed first, went through a static 2d design process and was then animated. I bet most of the post-time went into transitions.