Best Way of Connecting to the Internet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MrCatMan, Aug 17, 2009.

1. MrCatMan macrumors member

Hello wise forum.

I have had non stop trouble with my internet connection.

I use Tiscali in the UK via a Netgear router and an Airport Extreme (the UFO shaped one)

I now cannot access the web again and have been told by Tiscali that they do not provide technical help for either Apple or Netgear.

A couple of questions. What is the benefit of using a router and airport extreme?

Who is the best broadband provider for mac in the UK?

MrCatMan

2. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

The AirPort Extreme Base Station is a router. My guess is that you can probably use use one or the other instead of both. I'm assuming you have either a cable modem or DSL modem that connects via Ethernet to one of your devices (or, depending on your building, perhaps just a direct Ethernet port to which you connect the device).

How are you currently set up? Unless your Netgear router is special (e.g., also serves as a modem of some sort or is otherwise connected via a non-Ethernet method), you can probably just use the AirPort. Plug the Ethernet cable that connects you to the Internet (the one from your modem or wall) into the WAN port on the AirPort Extreme, reboot your modem if you have to (disconnect and reconnect the power--although some modems will be OK if you don't, but some need to when you have a different device connected), and see if it works.

If this doesn't make sense, your Internet connection might not be configured as I imagine. :D Hope this helps!