Best way of installing Windows 7 on MBP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by NStocks, Feb 8, 2010.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

So I need to install windows in order to run some software ( Autodesk Ecotect ). I haven't looked into installing windows on my Mac because I hate windows and I've heard bad things about it running on Mac's, plus I don't have enough time to research it fully )

Forgive my ' lazyness ' but what would be the cleanest way of installing it. I want to use as many features of the Mac OS i.e trackpad ( again not sure if these work in windows ). The software is very hardware driven i.e it needs quite a lot of power, so would Bootcamp be the best option ?

In general, is Windows 7 running OK these days ?

Thank You so much

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

BootCamp is the best option. The trackpad will work.

3. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Perfect. This is the way I wanted to go... I don't want to install parallels or similar... How's the battery life affected when on windows 7 ?

Thank you

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Pretty awful. I wouldn't stray far from an outlet.

5. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Ugh, typical windows crap!

thanks for your help !

Oh, when I decide that I've had enough of windows, is it just as easy to delete the partition as if it wasn't there ?

6. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

Yup. Windows-partition is deleted via Bootcamp as well.

7. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I've just partitioned 15gb and went ahead with the windows installation. When I select the partition, it says it needs to be formatted to NTFS. Do I do this directly from the windows installation setup ? I didn't know you can format one hard drive, even if it had been partitioned.

Thank You

8. tshort macrumors regular

Yes, just do it from the Windows setup. As long as you choose the correct partition (i.e. C:), you're OK.

9. valvehead macrumors regular

It's not Windows' fault. Apple's BIOS emulator disables some of the hardware power-saving features (i.e. being forced to use the 9600M instead of the 9400M). It sucks, but if you need the full native power for Windows via Boot Camp, it's a sacrifice you'll have to make.

I assume that booting Windows 7 directly via EFI would be much more efficient. There have been several threads about creating such an installation, but I'm not sure how successful the attempts were.

10. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Fully agree with that. He's got a 17" unibody which for battery life on boot camp is pretty bearable at 3.5 hours on high performance, 4.5 on balanced - I could barely get half that on the 15", a big reason why I went large!

11. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Those figures are better than what I anticipated :)

I've now installed Windows 7 via boot camp successfully. Is it as simple as inserting the Mac disc into the super drive to install the trackpad gestures. Do I insert the disc when in windows, how can I change it so that when I turn my Mac on, Mac OS X automatically starts rather than windows ?

Also, do I just insert the Mac disc in order to use the brightness buttons and ter ' F ' buttons located on the keyboard in windows, as they just bring up help menus at the minute

Thank You !