Best way (program) to record screen?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nyguy4u, Mar 2, 2014.

1. nyguy4u macrumors member

Hello guys.. running into an issue here that I hope someone can answer.

I am looking for a very simple way to record my screen in HD. I tried the built in QT Screen Recorder. Love the simplicity of it. However, if I record part of my screen - it works fine (only allows me to export in 720p however). If I record my entire screen (I have a 27" iMac), playback is choppy and basically unviewable (however it does allow me to output in 1080p). Is there a reason I can't do a full screen recording? Also - I was hoping to change the download location to an external drive - but I guess that can't be done either? And finally, is there a limit to how much I can record? Was hoping to record 3 hours plus.

Now that that part of my question is out of the way..

Keeping in mind the simplicity of it all, is there an alternative to the built in QT utility? I don't need editing tools or any of that special stuff. Just need to hit record to start and stop.. that's it. Just need a way to record my entire screen, export it in 1080p of 3 hrs plus to a different location - none of which QT is cooperating with me with.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

2. nyguy4u thread starter macrumors member

3. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

How about Fraps

http://www.fraps.com/ I used to use it to make training videos for our clan. (mm not to self - must see if it comes in mac flavour)....

(sorry didnt think about people who only run osx lol).

I do remember something called Screenflow for Mac?

and here is a longer thread on similar lines - perhaps an idea in there.

4. nyguy4u thread starter macrumors member

5. montgomeryr macrumors member

Snaps

I use Snaps Pro quite a bit but never full screen HD. I checked their settings and you can define the entire screen and use any of several file types to save to.

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I've watched a lot of Lynda.com videos and they use Snapz Pro X to record the screen activities.

7. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I've used SnapZ Pro for years. It is pretty good.

Take a look at Voila in the app store. They make some nice claims. I'm tempted to try at some point.