Best way to access flash drive using ipad

caughtintheweb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2011
I have a 32 GB ipad first generation and I have realized that I dont enough memory on it. Is there anyway to store my documents, pics, music etc on a usb flash drive / airport / hd and use it with my ipad without turning on the computer. I dont take my macs around when I travel and it becomes a bit of a headache.

iKIKO

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
hi mate. you actually can do that but need to jailbreak the ipad and install an app called iFile. and need the CCK from apple

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
JSYK, you don't necessarily need the CCK from Apple - I bought a knockoff for $7 on Amazon and it works great - plus it has SD and USB on the same dongle.

But yeah, you have to be jailbroken to use it for anything other than photos.

caughtintheweb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Thanks a lot guys for your reply. I already have the CCR. I was hoping not to jail break as I guess I have to jailbreak evertime there is an update ?

@darngooddesign ... which wifi devices work with ipad ? Can I use airport extreme and access data from there in the ipad ?

caughtintheweb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Wow. All these options are so expensive. I guess I will be sticking to deleting unnecessary files to save $200.

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Kingston wi-drive

Muscleflex

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
i can't see why you need all of 32gb to store your data at any one time - just delete and carry what you need. don't be a data whore! ;)

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
That's funny.
not really.

maybe some people have better things to do with their time than to have to continually manage their space on the ipad. certainly doesn't answer the OP's original question about what alternatives are out there to help supplement their limited storage.

darngooddesign

macrumors G3
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
not really.

maybe some people have better things to do with their time than to have to continually manage their space on the ipad. certainly doesn't answer the OP's original question about what alternatives are out there to help supplement their limited storage.
MF was suggesting that people spend their time managing the space on their iPad because according to him, 32GB is more than enough space. I replied by saying that was a silly thing to say.

We did infact offer the OP alternatives.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
How about DropBox, MobileMe (Sorry iCloud), Sugar sync, ect ?

Also there is nothing wrong with managing your data. It makes it easier to access what you have and want.

I also don't understand people that insist on using an iPad for an iPod, when the iPod does a better job.

HengenJL

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
Like others I definitely recommend Dropbox, SugarSync, and Box.net which are all free. Dropbox = 2GB, SugarSync = 5GB, Box.net = 50GB. Apps like Goodreader can access all 3.

darngooddesign

macrumors G3
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
How about DropBox, MobileMe (Sorry iCloud), Sugar sync, ect ?
These only work when you are around wifi or have a 3G signal. On 3G more than one movie will plow though your cellular data limit.

Also there is nothing wrong with managing your data. It makes it easier to access what you have and want.
Having enough drive space is easier.

I also don't understand people that insist on using an iPad for an iPod, when the iPod does a better job.
Are you going to buy me an iPod?

Last edited:

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I hate to say it but iCloud really is a good option for space limited devices. I am already starting to come around and use it for documents and music management. My iPad is 16gb and I instantly regretted not getting a larger capacity model. But over the last few weeks iCloud has been easing the burdon and now I'm thinking maybe it was money well saved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.