Best way to access flash drive using ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by caughtintheweb, Nov 18, 2011.

1. caughtintheweb macrumors regular

I have a 32 GB ipad first generation and I have realized that I dont enough memory on it. Is there anyway to store my documents, pics, music etc on a usb flash drive / airport / hd and use it with my ipad without turning on the computer. I dont take my macs around when I travel and it becomes a bit of a headache.

2. iKIKO macrumors regular

iKIKO

hi mate. you actually can do that but need to jailbreak the ipad and install an app called iFile. and need the CCK from apple

3. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

JSYK, you don't necessarily need the CCK from Apple - I bought a knockoff for $7 on Amazon and it works great - plus it has SD and USB on the same dongle.

But yeah, you have to be jailbroken to use it for anything other than photos.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

There are several portable hard-drives you access with wifi.

5. caughtintheweb thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot guys for your reply. I already have the CCR. I was hoping not to jail break as I guess I have to jailbreak evertime there is an update ?

@darngooddesign ... which wifi devices work with ipad ? Can I use airport extreme and access data from there in the ipad ?

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Yes there are. It makes me laugh that they've made it so easy to break out of Apples closed ecosystem / moneymaker.

7. iPutz macrumors member

Today's Woot is a 16gb wifi drive for $69.99. Wondering if this is a good deal

http://www.woot.com/

8. caughtintheweb thread starter macrumors regular

Wow. All these options are so expensive. I guess I will be sticking to deleting unnecessary files to save $200.

9. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Kingston wi-drive

10. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

i can't see why you need all of 32gb to store your data at any one time - just delete and carry what you need. don't be a data whore! ;)

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That's funny.

12. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

not really.

maybe some people have better things to do with their time than to have to continually manage their space on the ipad. certainly doesn't answer the OP's original question about what alternatives are out there to help supplement their limited storage.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

MF was suggesting that people spend their time managing the space on their iPad because according to him, 32GB is more than enough space. I replied by saying that was a silly thing to say.

We did infact offer the OP alternatives.

14. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

How about DropBox, MobileMe (Sorry iCloud), Sugar sync, ect ?

Also there is nothing wrong with managing your data. It makes it easier to access what you have and want.

I also don't understand people that insist on using an iPad for an iPod, when the iPod does a better job.

15. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

Like others I definitely recommend Dropbox, SugarSync, and Box.net which are all free. Dropbox = 2GB, SugarSync = 5GB, Box.net = 50GB. Apps like Goodreader can access all 3.

16. darngooddesign, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011

darngooddesign macrumors G3

These only work when you are around wifi or have a 3G signal. On 3G more than one movie will plow though your cellular data limit.

Having enough drive space is easier.

Are you going to buy me an iPod?

17. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I hate to say it but iCloud really is a good option for space limited devices. I am already starting to come around and use it for documents and music management. My iPad is 16gb and I instantly regretted not getting a larger capacity model. But over the last few weeks iCloud has been easing the burdon and now I'm thinking maybe it was money well saved.