Best way to accomplish this effect?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by thelongmorrow, Feb 17, 2011.

1. thelongmorrow macrumors member

Sorry for the low quality example, but I am looking to do the effect as seen here (example 1) where there is video with text documents in the background but it is blended to look like it is part of the scene (Different depths/blending)

Example 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyCgVKaTvcc

I am looking to accomplish somewhat of the opposite where I have a photo and there is video in the background and the video looks like it is part of the photo.

Similar to the clouds moving in this example except much more dramatic:

Example 2: http://images.macrumors.com/im/contest200611/spicyapple1.html

P.S. I will be using FCP and Motion

2. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

In Motion, I would:
    Video on the bottom layer. Mask off the part of the still you want the video to show through with a soft edge. If you have a complex mask, like your example with hair, you'll have to make a mask in photoshop and bring it into motion. Use color adjustments and other filters to marry the two elements visually.

Basically the same steps in FCP but I'm more familiar compositing in Motion

3. boch82 macrumors 6502

Spend the money on AE. It will save you a ton of time.

CS 5 will allow you to do this very quickly.

If you just need it for a short time, download the 30 day trial, its fully functional.

4. laurim, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011

laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

You only say that because you know AE and not Motion. I can say the exact opposite and it doesn't require the OP to lay out hundreds of dollars. AE is not a program a relative newbie to compositing can just jump into and use for a project. If it was, why wouldn't I just switch over when I own both and have tried both?

Besides, the steps to accomplish this effect in AE are exactly the same, right? No time savings. You may quote roundtripping with Photoshop but editing an image that is inside Motion also gets automatically updated.

P.S. Not calling the OP a newbie but maybe not recognizing the use of masks indicates some newness to compositing...

5. boch82 macrumors 6502

I know both programs quite well and each has their pros and cons. Motion is not a true compositing program. You can do basic stuff and basic masks but you do not have all the same controls as with AE.[/QUOTE]

Have you seen or tried the roto brush in CS 5? It makes your life a whole lot easier.

AE also uses reference files. So if you make an update on an image in Photoshop, just save it and replace the previos version. (automatically updated)

6. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

AE does do more than Motion. I'd argue, however, that most jobs can be done quite easily in Motion as well and certainly this project can.

I haven't upgraded to CS5. Not enough change to warrant it for what I do, IMO. Rotobrush looks interesting and great for compositing movies but for masking a still, as for this project, Photoshop is good enough.

Like I said, any media edited outside Motion gets automatically updated as well. It's a tie here.

I'm not saying Motion is better than AE. If I were just starting out in compositing, I probably would learn AE first, frankly. But the OP has a simple project and already owns Motion so why complicate things and add significant expense?

7. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Have you seen or tried the roto brush in CS 5? It makes your life a whole lot easier.

AE also uses reference files. So if you make an update on an image in Photoshop, just save it and replace the previos version. (automatically updated)[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna agree with Laurim on this one and this is coming from someone who works in After Effects everyday.

For what the original poster asked, Motion is more than capable. And it makes more sense for a beginner to use Motion especially when he already owns it.

I think the 30 day AE trial is a good recommendation for anyone who wants to learn, but it isn't smart for an actual project. What if you ever need to go back to it?

As for the roto brush, it's nice but a little buggy. But it certainly isn't needed for still work. Nothing will beat masks or straight up photo editing for that.

8. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

the effect is called 'kid stays in the picture effect' i have done it using motion and it was fine. google it and you will fine tutorials on you tube etc.

as other recommendations i would not learn AE just for this, although i do suggest learning both. knowledge is power!