iPad Best way to acquire a (discontinued) iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by anonymous guy, Nov 17, 2012.

1. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

I'm in the market for a 32GB iPad 3 Wifi. For the most part, local retailers insist on keeping prices the same on their 3rd gen units, so I've taken the search online.

I've looked at various retailers (don't want to acquire one via eBay or Craigslist) and have come close to pulling the trigger on the refurbished unit via the Apple Online Store for $469. Are there any other places I should look into before proceeding?

Thanks in advance.

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

I personally would go with a Apple refurb unless you can find a new one at a discounted price at a B&M store. With Apple you get a tablet with a brand new battery and new outer shell and it's been tested for hardware issues. And you get a 1 year warranty.

3. daftpunk329 macrumors newbie

Give Best Buy "open box" a shot. YMMV, but I was able to score a 16GB wi-fi for $398 including tax and CA e-waste fee. While the box itself was a little busted, the accessories and ipad were flawless. No screen issues, and just a great experience overall. It's practically perfect!

Open box pricing varies from store to store. Good luck with your search!

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Apple refurbs are great, but they are thin on the ground here in the UK at least. The marketplace section of these boards is a good place to look. Personally, I'd stay away from craiglist and similar places, you should be able to source one privately. The demand is still high, and I sold mine within an hour to a buddy here.

Apple killing it off after 7 months makes sense once you own a 4 though...They just couldn't have sold them both.

5. anonymous guy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep my eyes peeled for the next few days. Surprisingly, Gamestops locally sell iPads refurbished.

Can't vouch for the quality of their refurbished tablets though. If their game consoles are any indication, I might want to stay away...

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

Be warned, GameStop refurbs are not the same as Apple refurbs and you don't get the same warrant as you do from Apple. Apple refurbs look new when you take them out of the box.

7. anonymous guy thread starter macrumors 6502

Any indications of possible Black Friday sales?

8. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

9. magbarn macrumors 68000

10. anonymous guy thread starter macrumors 6502

That deal is pretty good. It's only a 16GB model though :(