Best Way To Activate

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SevengerNC, Sep 12, 2016.

1. SevengerNC macrumors regular

SevengerNC

Hope to receive the iPhone 7 Plus Friday. In the past when I've purchased my own phone I've gone to my local Verizon and flipped the guy a 20 to move all my contacts and activate.
    I'm afraid they'll be swamped Friday. Can I activate it myself? Move my contacts? I currently have a Galaxy S7 Edge I'll be selling very soon.
    Thanks !!

2. TechnicallyTee macrumors 68000

TechnicallyTee

If you have your contacts synced to Google then you can import them over to the iPhone through the CardDav function in the mail settings.

3. bhall110 macrumors regular

take the sim out of you old phone put in in your new iPhone the use the move to iOS app

4. SevengerNC thread starter macrumors regular

SevengerNC

Do I even need a new SIM from Verizon ?

5. bhall110 macrumors regular

As long as your old phone takes the nano sim you can continue to use it. They have an automated activation number you can call if you need to use the new sim.

6. SevengerNC thread starter macrumors regular

SevengerNC

Wait - move to IOS app -
    I just googled, and it said my S7 Edge has a nano sim.
    I just DL'd the Move to IOS on my S7 so I guess I'm good to go.
    For some reason I guess I still have to pay Verz $20 activation fee. I call them to do that, right ?

7. bhall110 macrumors regular

if you pop the sim into the new phone then you won't need to call. It should auto program. Just remember if you are activating on launch day it may take some time because of the shear number of devices being activated at that time.

Source: I manage me companies Business account with 250 lines. I do this every day.

8. SevengerNC thread starter macrumors regular

SevengerNC

Cool. So now I need to figure how to move my contacts to Google.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2016 ---
    Wait again, if I do the Move To IOS app thing, won't that move my contacts and everything ?

9. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

I'm not familiar with the app. But assuming you are sync'ing your contacts, email, etc. to your Google account on the S7 Edge, you can add that same Google account to your iPhone (under Settings >> Mail >> Accounts) and it will pull down your Contacts, Email, Calendars, and Notes.

Edit: I guess this goes without saying, but I'd suggest hanging on to the S7 Edge until you're sure everything is sync'd up correctly.

Link to Apple's own instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201196

10. SevengerNC thread starter macrumors regular

SevengerNC

I use 2 email accounts on my S7. The email app that came on it is assigned to my primary Road Runner account. I also have a gmail app. I'm wondering how to transfer all.