Best Way to Adapt 23" ADC Apple Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chucknorris, Aug 11, 2007.

1. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

I just bought the display described above for use as a TV and computer monitor. Unfortunately, the computer I plan on using it with has only a VGA video output.

From the research I've done, it is difficult if not impossible to find an ADC-to-VGA adapter. Alternatively, I could settle for finding a way to hook the display into my cheap DVD player via S-Video or A/V adapter, but these seem elusive as well.

I'm trying to avoid going from ADC to DVI to one of the protocols I can work with, but will do so if necessary.

Basically, I'd like to know what other people have tried, what is most cost-effective, what works best, etc.

2. illweather macrumors regular

How much was the monitor? You could easily pick up an old AGP video card with ADC on it, what kinda Mac you have (just the iBook)? Your best bet is throwing one of the cards in an older Mac Tower (hopefully you just have one laying around) because it's easy to find an ADC compatible card. Playing media would be centered around your computer in this scenario.

Option 2 would involve getting a ADC to VGA or DVI adapter. The one Apple sells is really your best bet, hopefully you can swing a student/teacher/education discount, that way you'll save a bit. http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-50...m=M8661LL/B&wosid=gK45tyPN6lAD36OMEtZ1rdPXBQb

Not really sure how to pull off some of what you mentioned above...

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

That settles it, time to buy a MacBook :p

Even from ADC to DVI you need an adapter though. Are you certain that it uses ADC and not DVI?

4. illweather macrumors regular

Not if you buy an ADC to DVI adapter, check the link...

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

One, links to Apple's Store are temporary, so clicking it isn't going to do me any good. Two, it sounds like you're saying you don't need an adapter because of an adapter..?

6. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

You'd need a ADC to DVI adapter (about 100), then a DVI-VGA adapter (one of these here : http://dviconnect.com/model.php?id=7, $400, NOT one of those things for connecting a VGA monitor to a DVI port), then you'll need a regular TV box, they run about 60-80 dollars, which you'll loop the VGA signals from the DVI-VGA adapter thru the TV box, hook up your cheapo DVD player, and then finally hook in your iBook.

Enjoy.

7. illweather macrumors regular

I don't know, maybe I didn't understand what this guy wanted. To get a signal to an ADC monitor (without an ADC video card) means you usually need an ADC to DVI adapter, which is easy to find through the Apple Store. Hooking a DVD player up to one of these monitors sounds like a waste of time, unless one has an old Mac tower with DVD-ROM and an ADC card in it. These monitors are not made to "monitor" without a computer (PC or Mac); I'd check out the forums at Apple.com. There are many individuals there trying to work around all sorts of problems with their ADC displays.

And ReanimationLP might be right, too many steps and too much money for an old monitor that probably cost you nothing compared to what it would take to hook a TV signal up to it (though I'm not sure about the VGA to DVI adpater that was pointed out).

8. chucknorris thread starter macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

From all the helpful replies, I've concluded that it would be pretty ridiculous to try to adapt this thing for VGA. Is S-Video or A/V any easier?

At this point, I'm taking for granted the fact that going from ADC to DVI is a necessary first step.

Thanks for the assistance, everybody.

9. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

Basically you are SOL, trying to make ANY Apple DVI or Apple ADC monitor work with VGA, S-Video is cost prohibitive (all options are worth as much as a brand new monitor, $400).

You cant get there from here.

10. chucknorris thread starter macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

So now I guess I'm in the market for an inexpensive DVI-enabled video card.

11. illweather macrumors regular

What is A/V? S-video would not be any easier, unless there are cheap DVI to S-video adapters. This monitor is really made for computer use, but once you get it to sync with your computer, then you can use it to view media. I just don't think it's economically practical to try to essentially use the monitor as a TV.