Best Way To Archive From HDD Camcorder?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by soLoredd, Feb 18, 2008.

1. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Hello...

Recently, my father passed away and left behind a JVC miniDV and also a Hard Disk camcorder with several videos I would like to archive. I am able to get the videos imported into iMovie '08 just fine but what if I want to just archive the footage and not make a movie (I assume this would be the raw file?)

What I would like to have ideally is a DVD that my mom can pop in and it can contain the footage my dad captured. These include vacations, parties, weddings, etc.

Anyone have some tips or information on how to do this? Thank you!

2. -DH macrumors 65816

You can make a DVD of the footage, but for archiving purposes, I'd output to DV tape.

-DH

3. soLoredd thread starter macrumors 6502a

How would I go about doing that?

And I actually meant backing up, not archiving. I can keep the current stuff on DV, which is fine, but I'd also like a backup of those DV tapes. So, if I'm using iMovie '08 to import the DV, would I just burn the resulting .dv files for backup to DVD?

4. -DH macrumors 65816

If you want a backup, I wouldn't recommend DVD. At 13.3gb per hour, DVD disc don't make sense as a backup medium. However, you could always make a second set of tapes to store as backups.

-DH

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

You might consider just keeping it on an external harddrive. If you send it back to DV tape as some people have suggested here, you're going to run into quality issues.

Oh but wait... I think I've misinterpreted you. You want this to be something your mother can view from a television? I mean.. to watch and not to edit?
    I think you really want to make a set of DVDs for her using iDVD if that's what you want.

Please clarify.

6. soLoredd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I'd like to put together collections my mother can view on her TV, and DVD is fine for that. But, I'd also like to keep the original footage for storage.

After some perusing, I think keeping the footage on DV is fine for that and I'll just make the DVDs for viewing. I was hoping to just make a good set of digital copies for storage but I've read that keeping the stuff on the DV tape is a better choice?

7. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Yes, lay it off to tape. MiniDV tape is a far more reliable storage medium than hard drives (and is comparably priced). You won't lose any quality.