Best Way to Back Up HD With Only One Software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MichaelMidnight, Jun 20, 2008.

1. MichaelMidnight macrumors regular

MichaelMidnight

I want to backup my laptop hard drive that's at about 115GB but I only have an external 120GB drive. From my research I've seen most people use a combination of Time Machine plus Super Duper. And in most of their cases they also had more wriggle room in the space department for hour by hour or day by day backs up.

So anyways, what would you all recommend for backing up my hard drive if I can only use one software with a space available very similar to laptop disk space? Week cloned copies? Just carry on with Time Machine?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

2. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I had a 300GB external running SuperDuper and switched to Time Machine and then Time Capsule. I dropped SuperDuper and rely solely on Time Machine.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

TM is nice because it requires no user interaction.
    TM is nice because it gives you multiple options on returning to files in the past.
    But you can't boot directly from it. And if you use things like protected disk images or parallels/fusion, you can kiss your HD space goodbye.

SuperDuper is nice because the clone is bootable.
    SuperDuper (pay version) is nice because Smart Updates take a lot less time.
    But there's only 1 version of everything, the last version you cloned. And cloning can take some time, where you shouldn't be doing anything else with the computer.