Best way to back up Leopard to Mirror

Discussion in 'macOS' started by markw10, Nov 29, 2007.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

I have been using SuperDuper for a long time to Backup (Mirror) my MBP's hard drive to a external Lacie Firewire Drive. I just upgraded to Leopard and see version 2.14 is not fully Leopard compatible and they are working on version 2.15 to fix that.
    I know there is also a program called Carbon Copy Cloner but I really prefer SuperDuper. Should I use Carbon Copy Cloner temporarily? Has anyone used SuperDuper or know what the actual issues are and if it's at all safe to use SuperDuper with Leopard?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

CCC works well but lacks some things that SuperDuper has (only backing up changes, etc).

Although, have you tried Time Machine? (Someone was bound to say it)

3. dbungert macrumors newbie

I haven't used CCC, I can't comment on it.

From the blog for superduper, http://www.shirt-pocket.com/blog/, you can see what they're working on. Basically they're adding support for the new leopard features. The important bit is the hard-link directories support, which is likely only in use on the dirve the Time Machine is writing to (as opposed to the boot drive aka the one you want to back up). I'm currently using Time Machine in parallel with SuperDuper with leopard (to separate drives). I've firewire booted the superduper drive since leopard, it works fine. If you're comfortable w/ SuperDuper, I say go for it. If you were going to redo the backup drive with a different tool anyhow, trying superduper first can't hurt.

4. macgruder macrumors 6502

Version 3 does that now afaik. And it's free.